[comp.unix.ultrix] inetd under Ultrix 4.0

system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) (11/23/90)

I've been trying to get popd and nntpd to run on our DecStation 5000 running
Ultrix 4.0, but inetd seems open then close the connection without running
the right daemon.  /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf have the correct
entries.  Has anyone else ported these programs to Ultrix or had this
problem?

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:       ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet:   lesure@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

thomas@wileecoyote.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (11/23/90)

In article <1938@asuvax.asu.edu>, system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
|> I've been trying to get popd and nntpd to run on our DecStation 5000 running
|> Ultrix 4.0, but inetd seems open then close the connection without running
|> the right daemon.  /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf have the correct
|> entries.  Has anyone else ported these programs to Ultrix or had this
|> problem?

nntpd works fine for me.  Did you remember to do kill -HUP on inetd?
Is the daemon where you told inetd about  it?
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (11/28/90)

system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:

>I've been trying to get popd and nntpd to run on our DecStation 5000 running
>Ultrix 4.0, but inetd seems open then close the connection without running
>the right daemon.  /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf have the correct
>entries.  Has anyone else ported these programs to Ultrix or had this
>problem?

  YEA !!, I try to install a telnetd on a DecStation 3100 and don't work too..

  It opens the connection, ask the login and the password, and then close the
connection...

Any ideas ??

Jose A. Vela Avila
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx