[comp.unix.ultrix] ULTRIX FILE SERVICE FOR DOS, MAC

jamesr@cortex.med.jhu.edu (Jim Rosenberg) (11/28/90)

Does anyone out there have experience with or know of products that allow
the use of an Ultrix server (DECSystem 5400) as a file server for PC DOS
and Macintosh.  I understand that DEC is releasing their PCSA (correct
acronym ?) software for Ultrix, but I am interested in other packages.  We
want to provide transparent access to database files and a manager, as well
as other applications, for DOS and Mac users;  ideally, users would never
see a difference from DOS / Mac access of local files and applications.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

James Rosenberg
Systems Manager
Div. Psychiatric Neuro-Imaging

kludge@scb3.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Dorsey 44056) (11/28/90)

In article <1093@cortex.med.jhu.edu> jamesr@cortex.med.jhu.edu (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>Does anyone out there have experience with or know of products that allow
>the use of an Ultrix server (DECSystem 5400) as a file server for PC DOS
>and Macintosh.  I understand that DEC is releasing their PCSA (correct
>acronym ?) software for Ultrix, but I am interested in other packages.  We
>want to provide transparent access to database files and a manager, as well
>as other applications, for DOS and Mac users;  ideally, users would never
>see a difference from DOS / Mac access of local files and applications.

I use the Columbia Appletalk Protocol software which is available by
anonymous FTP from rutgers.edu as src/ru-cap2.tar.Z.  It seems to have some
major problems running under Ultrix 4.0, though, and I am not sure what they
are.  But we do run the software on Suns and on Berkeley 4.2 on our 11/780
with no difficulty.  You need a gateway between your Appletalk net and your
Ethernet, but beyond that it's smooth sailing.
--scott