[comp.unix.ultrix] go away you don't exist

Jeff@wisdom.UUCP (Jeff Ross) (12/01/90)

every now and then when I log into the unix machines (usually over DECnet)
I won't show up on the who list.  if I attempt to run talk I'll get the
message "go away you don't exist"  I'm running ultrix vers 3.  is this
caused by something I did wrong upon setting up ultrix, or is this a known
bug?

					Jeff

--
Jeff Ross
e-mail:  jeff@wisdom.uucp                 (home)                 201-299-1819

lloyd@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Lloyd W. Taylor) (12/02/90)

Jeff@wisdom.UUCP (Jeff Ross) writes:

>every now and then when I log into the unix machines (usually over DECnet)
>I won't show up on the who list.  if I attempt to run talk I'll get the
>message "go away you don't exist"  I'm running ultrix vers 3.  is this
>caused by something I did wrong upon setting up ultrix, or is this a known
>bug?
>
>Jeff Ross
>e-mail:  jeff@wisdom.uucp                 (home)                 201-299-1819
>         ross@fdurt1.fdu.edu              (work)                 201-692-2357

That message means that 'talk' couldn't find an entry for you in the 'utmp'
file.

Some multi-window terminal emulators (such as 'uw' and 'maclayers') are
unable to write the pty entries into utmp unless they are installed
setuid root.  I've not run into this problem using DECNet terminal.

-- Lloyd Taylor
   Johns Hopkins University

russ@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Russ) (12/02/90)

I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago after installing Ultrix 4.0
and forgot to update the /etc/ttys file.  Make sure that you have
defined all of the network pseudoterminals in /etc/ttys.
Do a "ls -l /dev/tty[q-z]?" to see what pseudoterminals you have.

I wonder if poor old Ken Olson is aware of the silly messages shipping
in his company's product.  Fortunately we had the source code around
and I was able to find the problem in a few minutes but it sure would
be nice to have a more descriptive error message.
Jeff Russ				russ@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
University Computing Services		PHONE: (812) 855-2733
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN     I want to buy old PDP[4-9] systems.