[net.micro] Will the real Amiga stand up!

dale@wucs.UUCP (Dale Frye) (08/12/85)

In Byte they show a picture of the Amiga motherboard with two 27256 ROM's and
room for two more. The picture also shows only 8 41256s. Is the memory bus
only 8 bits wide?  However in a new magazine called AmigaWorld there is a
picture of the motherboard with 16 41256s. I couldn't see any ROM but then the
disk drive was in the way. A friend who attended a local dealer roundup by
Commadore told me that there isn't any system ROM. Instead the system is loaded
on power-up into RAM and then is write-protected.

Questions

1: How much real ROM exists and what is in it.

2: How much RAM exists and how does the write protection work. (i.e. can the
       size of the protected area be programmable)

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!
3: Is the memory data path 8 or 16 bits wide!!!!!!!!

Dale Frye @ Washington University in St. Louis

csc@watmath.UUCP (Jan Gray) (08/15/85)

In article <1087@wucs.UUCP> dale@wucs.UUCP (Dale Frye) writes:
>In Byte they show a picture of the Amiga motherboard with two 27256 ROM's and
>room for two more. The picture also shows only 8 41256s. Is the memory bus
>only 8 bits wide?  However in a new magazine called AmigaWorld there is a
>picture of the motherboard with 16 41256s. I couldn't see any ROM but then the
>disk drive was in the way. A friend who attended a local dealer roundup by
>Commadore told me that there isn't any system ROM. Instead the system is loaded
>on power-up into RAM and then is write-protected.

Look closer.  Those DRAMs have *18* pins.  They are almost certainly 64K x 4,
not 256K x 1, so the Amiga has a 32 bit bus (which is absolutely necessary
to get the high bandwidth to video if you work it out).

I will also speculate that the picture in AmigaWorld is of the new Amiga with
"writable control store" (Oh God!) which uses the extra 256K for the OS.

>MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!
>3: Is the memory data path 8 or 16 bits wide!!!!!!!!

32 bits.  I think.

Jan Gray  watmath!looking!jan  Looking Glass Software, Waterloo  519-884-7473

michaelk@azure.UUCP (Mike Kersenbrock) (08/15/85)

> Questions
>
> 1: How much real ROM exists and what is in it.
>
> 2: How much RAM exists and how does the write protection work. (i.e. can the
>        size of the protected area be programmable)

I have no idea, but if I were them, it sure would be handy (during OS
development) to have the OS in writeable memory (either in temporary
added RAM or "mapped-in" using an in-circuit uP emulator
(my employer makes very good ones (plug) which we use ourselves)).  It will
be interesting to see what version is the "production version" and to see if
it stays that way.

> MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!
> 3: Is the memory data path 8 or 16 bits wide!!!!!!!!
>

> Dale Frye @ Washington University in St. Louis

The block diagram in Byte magazine showed seperate data busses
for the (UVEP)ROM and the RAM with a bit of circuitry between them.
Because the 68000 is 16-bit WORD oriented, and because
you can use paging-mode tricks with DRAMs (you double-CAS the parts),
you COULD make 8-DRAMs do a very decent job with word-accesses.  Not having
the Amiga schematic handy :-), I wouldn't know if they actually
do this.

Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Software Development Products
Aloha, Oregon

tim@callan.UUCP (Tim Smith) (08/27/85)

> In Byte they show a picture of the Amiga motherboard with two 27256 ROM's and
> room for two more. The picture also shows only 8 41256s. Is the memory bus
> only 8 bits wide?  However in a new magazine called AmigaWorld there is a

8 256k chips makes 256k bytes, which is what the most common claim is
for total ram.  It has been speculated that they are using fast rams, and
doing TWO memory cycles two get the 16 bits needed for the 68k.

It has also been claimed that they dropped the roms and use ram loaded
at startup.  This could explain why the later board had no ROMs but
another set of 8 RAMs.
--
					Tim Smith
				ihnp4!{cithep,wlbr!callan}!tim