[comp.unix.ultrix] Reading VMS backups on Ultrix

fnddr@acad3.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) (12/07/90)

An organization which shall remain nameless insists on sending us TK50
data tapes in VMS backup format.  I've had some success using the vmsbackup
utility from comp.sources.unix but it is rather old (based on VMS 4.?) and
won't always extract the files.  When it fails we have to go through our
friendly neighborhood vms system, but they are so short on disk space that
it is a real challenge to get our huge data files off tape there.

Is there a newer version of vmsbackup floating around somewhere?  Seems like
DEC should supply such a utility for Ultrix to help VMS and Ultrix systems
get along.  Failing that, is there a description of the current VMS backup
format somewhere that I might use to patch up vmsbackup?  I don't have VMS
manuals on hand but I can borrow them if I know what to ask for.

Thanks,
Don Rice                                  Internet: ddr@flux.gi.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E
[People who insist on sending out VMS Backup tapes should be TARed and
 feathered...]

ngse18@castle.ed.ac.uk (J R Evans) (12/11/90)

fnddr@acad3.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) writes:

>An organization which shall remain nameless insists on sending us TK50
>data tapes in VMS backup format.

Hmmmm.  Let me guess ... a certain US government institution?

>Is there a newer version of vmsbackup floating around somewhere?  Seems like
>DEC should supply such a utility for Ultrix to help VMS and Ultrix systems
>get along.  Failing that, is there a description of the current VMS backup
>format somewhere that I might use to patch up vmsbackup?

Can I reiterate this enquiry, as well as the admonition to DEC.  I've never
been able to find any format information in the VMS manuals, and we
don't have source at this site.  I just grabbed a copy of vmsbackup, for a
similar application.  On a DECstation 3100/Ultrix 4.0/RISC, it generates
heaps of alignment errors: code in process_file assumes that the struct
bsa elements in the buffer passed to it are aligned.  The fix seems easy
enough - just perform a byte-by-byte copy into an aligned temporary.  I
wonder if this could be associated in any way with Don's problems?  Can
anyone out there offer definitive advice?

Russ Evans
British Geological Survey