[comp.unix.ultrix] dump on a TLZ04...

leuthold@atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu (12/07/90)

	Is it possible to do multiple filesystem dumps to a single tape?
I tried to do two.  The first I used the /dev/nrmt0h device so the tape
would not rewind.  Then I dumped the second filesystem.  Now I can't seem
to look at the second dump.  If there isn't a way to do mutiple dumps on a
tape, it seems a waste to use a tape for each filesystem.  (Also, I'm screwed
because I messed up my /usr.  Since I am a new Ultrix user, this may be a
trivial question.
	I'm also in the process of adding clients to the server.  As I under-
stand the docs, I must reload Ultrix again onto a different file partition
for use by the clients.  This also seems like a waste of disk space.  A VMS
LAVC shares all the OS files and only creates small directories for system
parameters.  Maybe this is also true for Ultrix and I just don't understand
things yet.  I'm using Ultrix 4.0 on a DS5000 serving (hopefully) 3 DS2100's.
Thanks for any light you can shed in this dark and damp hole I'm stuck in.

Mike Leuthold
University of Arizona, Atmospheric Sciences
leuthold@atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu

aem@aber-cs.UUCP (Alec D.E. Muffett) (12/11/90)

In article <00940C7E.140BB020@atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu> leuthold@atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu writes:

>	Is it possible to do multiple filesystem dumps to a single tape?
Yes, you can, top get to the second dump,. you can use forward-space-file

			mt -f <no-rewind-devicename> fsf

but this is horribly slow.  You actually need the new DDS stuff with
fast-seek which we believe is in 4.1.

[stuff about /usr deleted]
>A VMS
>LAVC shares all the OS files and only creates small directories for system
>parameters.  Maybe this is also true for Ultrix and I just don't understand
>things yet.  I'm using Ultrix 4.0 on a DS5000 serving (hopefully) 3 DS2100's.

We don't want to be upstaged by VMS, do we ?   8)

Yes you can, you need to fool 'setld' but it's a bit complex to put
here.  (I have got a more efficient method than this, but it's a
horrible hack)

Simply follow the installation procedure as if you were gonna make a
separate /usr area for the clients.  When you have got it working, then
edit the /etc/fstab to pull the REAL (server) /usr on each of the
clients.  At this point, you can delete the temporary /usr.  Helps if
your server is the same sort of thing as your client (we have 5830's
serving 2100's.  We have to check the files for UWS are all there.  The
5830's differ by only *4* files from the UWS distribution.  Just find
them (do a recursive 'diff' against the temporary /usr) - needle in
haystack job)

alec
--
JANET	aem@uk.ac.aber