[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.0 to 4.1 Upgrade Tape

christam@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Kam T Tam) (12/13/90)

Can anyone tell me whether the upgrade tape is available yet? I have a couple
of 3D accelerators waiting to be plugged into two DS5000's. I am not asking
for the full installation tapes, I don't want to do the installation all over
again.  If the upgrade tape is availble, I can put more pressure onto our
sales rep. Things are rather slow in Australia - remember when we got our
DS5000/200PX's few months back, DEC here didn't have a version of Ultrix that
supports the 2D accelerator.

Thanks.

 ________Kam T Tam__________CSIRO Division of Mathematics & Statistics________
|                 PO Box 218, Lindfield, NSW 2070, Australia.                 |
|             Phone : +61 2 413 7598        Fax   : +61 2 416 9317            |
|       Telex : AA26296               Email : christam@syd.dms.csiro.au       |

frank@urz.unibas.ch (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.132758.12151@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU>, christam@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Kam T Tam) writes:
> Can anyone tell me whether the upgrade tape is available yet? I have a couple
> of 3D accelerators waiting to be plugged into two DS5000's. I am not asking
> for the full installation tapes, I don't want to do the installation all over
> again.  If the upgrade tape is availble, I can put more pressure onto our

Hate to say this, but from what I just heard from DEC here in Switzerland, the
4.1 upgrade is a fullscale upgrade which means that you have to go back to
square one...
(maybe though, just maybe, that the upgrade for a RISC is different than for
 a CISC??)

-Robert

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/14/90)

A 4.1 update install is supposed to be coming out this month.
When/if I hear for sure I will report it here, as I am sure will
others.

Digital shipped an early 4.1 kit to new customers and is planning
on shipping an update kit to subscription customers Real Soon.
That's all I know so far...

Fred

cliffb@isavax.isa.com (cliff bedore*) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.164750@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>A 4.1 update install is supposed to be coming out this month.
>When/if I hear for sure I will report it here, as I am sure will
>others.
>
>Digital shipped an early 4.1 kit to new customers and is planning
>on shipping an update kit to subscription customers Real Soon.
>That's all I know so far...
>
>Fred

We have gotten our Ultrix 4.1 tapes plus an update notice to fix some bugs
in the UWS stuff (which we don't use).  This is for VAX Ultrix not RISC.

Cliff