[comp.unix.ultrix] GNU C++ on Ultrix? Anyone???

efinley%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) (12/14/90)

Hello netland,

     I need to run C++ on my DecStation 5000/200.  Has GNU C++ been
ported to Ultrix/Risc?  If anyone has this running in this
configuration or a similar(sp) one, I would greatly appreciate details
of where you got the distribution and how hard was it to install...

             Thanks in advance
                 efinley@peruvian.utah.edu (Elliot Finley)

fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (12/14/90)

I tried to many times, but I failed.  I finally got g++ to compile,
as well as its library, but when trying to make groff it died *while
compiling* ("unaligned access").  I give up.  I don't really think
g++ is made for Ultrix/mips (as it says in one of its readme files).

thewalt@canuck.ce.berkeley.edu (C. Thewalt) (12/14/90)

   From: fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 14 Dec 90 08:04:33 GMT

   I tried to many times, but I failed.  I finally got g++ to compile,
   as well as its library, but when trying to make groff it died *while
   compiling* ("unaligned access").  I give up.  I don't really think
   g++ is made for Ultrix/mips (as it says in one of its readme files).

I built the version from foobar.colorado.edu in pub/Gnu-For-Pmax
(gcc-1.9.2.13 and g++-1.9.2.11).  Mail from meissner said for gcc you
have to edit gcc.c near line 1298 and change > 3 to >= 3.  Similarly,
for g++ you must make the same change near line 1289 of gcc.c.

Following the directions in the makefiles for MIPS and COFF I then
made a system that built libg++-1.37.2(xtar) from labrea and also
built groff.  It all seems to be working well.

Chris
--
Christopher Robin Thewalt               These opinions are not necessarily
thewalt@ce.berkeley.edu                 shared by my employer...