[comp.unix.ultrix] adding fujitsu drive to decstation 3100

robm@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) (12/18/90)

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a Fujitsu M2263SA drive to a DECstation 3100.  I
received a sheet with the drive that specified the disk layout thusly:

a.	Starting Cylinder  0	No. cyls 23850
b.			  30		 58830
c.			   0	       1313340
d.
e.
f.
g.			 104	       1230660

Assuming the "no. cyls." number is actually the number of blocks in a
partition, I tried to change the partition table on the drive to match
this.  (There was no entry in /etc/disktab for this drive.)  chpt -q
showed no partition table.  So, I did a 'mkfs 23850 /dev/rrz2a' to
make a file system (as required by chpt), then tried to this:

chpt -pa 0 23850 -pb 23851 58830 -pc 0 1313340 -pg 82681 1230660 /dev/rrz2a

However, chpt says:

chpt: cannot set partition table in driver: Mount device busy

Does anyone have any suggestions?  What, exactly, will cause this
error?  The drive was not mounted at the time.

For completeness sake, the drive identifies itself as:

rz2 at sii0 slave 2 (RZxx) [ FUJITSU_M2263S-512       0168 ]

Other info about the drive:

Physical Cylinders:	1658
Data Cylinders:		1652
No. Alternates:		2
No. Heads		15
Sectors/Track:		53
Interleave:		1:1

I'm running Ultrix 4.1 (Rev. 52).

Many thanks in advance for any clues.

Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm@janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm
Home: 415/339-1514		Work: 415/642-8633

jiml@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (James E. Leinweber) (12/20/90)

robm@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) writes:
>chpt -pa 0 23850 -pb 23851 58830 -pc 0 1313340 -pg 82681 1230660 /dev/rrz2a
>However, chpt says:
>chpt: cannot set partition table in driver: Mount device busy

Yeah, I got bit by this one too, and scratched my head for *days* till I
figured out that chpt won't change the size of the partition for the device
that it is running against.  The secret is to do chpt -pa ... /dev/rrz2c
separately from chpt -pb ... /dev/rrz2a.

By the way, if your genvmunix will talk to your 3rd party disk, you can
use it as the boot device, even during initial installation, provided
you use the system maintenance mode or other means to get the partition table
established first, and Ctrl-C out of the advanced installation prior to
the /usr filesystem allocation to fake a disktab entry.  Reboot, and voila!
--
Jim Leinweber  (608)262-0736   State Lab. of Hygiene/U. of Wisconsin - Madison
jiml@sente.slh.wisc.edu	       uunet!uwvax!uwslh!jiml        fax:(608)262-3257