[comp.unix.ultrix] Bootable copies of Ultrix dist tapes. How?

burrsie@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) (12/13/90)

Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?  We have a right-to-copy
license hera at the U of I but my copies won't boot.
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Burr

     Burr Nelson * 217-333-2435 * burrsie@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu * 128.174.5.55
U of I Biophysics Dept. * 524 Burrill Hall * 407 S. Goodwin * Urbana, IL  61801

--

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.184633.29053@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, burrsie@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) writes:

> Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
> anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
> TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?

	VAX or RISC?  (Don't bother answering, it only matters
	a little...)

	Except for the first two files on an ULTRIX distribution
	all the files have a 10 KB block size.  The 3rd file is
	a dump(8) format backup of the root file system.  The
	4th file is a tar(1) archive of the installation control
	files.  It has a file in it (ULT.image) that has the rest
	of the files and their checksums.

	The first two files are the boot program(s), with a block
	size of 512 bytes.  On either the VAX or RISC tape the 2nd
	file is empty and can be 10 KB.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec12.184633.29053@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> burrsie@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) writes:
>Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
>anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
>TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?  We have a right-to-copy
>license hera at the U of I but my copies won't boot.
>Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Read Ultrix programming volume 2, preparing software for distribution.
Chapter 6 has instructions for reproducing setld-compatible kits.

In the Ultrix 4.0/4.1 docs look in software development volume 1.

						Matt
--
Matthew B. Brookover
Computing and Information Resources

hbo@sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu (Howard B Owen) (12/21/90)

 |> In article <1990Dec12.184633.29053@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
burrsie@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) writes:
|> >Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
|> >anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
|> >TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?  ...

    What I have done in the past was to analyze the structure of the boot tapes
with a utility
called tapemap, copied the individual files to disk with dd, then copied them
back out to a duplicate tape. This could go tape to tape, of course. Tapemap is
pretty simple. It reads each
record of each file, and finds the largest  record, which it reports as the
blocksize of that file.
I can send the source and man page via mail if anyone needs it.

--
Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager    internet: hbo@sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                BITNET: HBO@VOODOO.BITNET