[comp.unix.ultrix] support for audio cd discs under Ultrix

rusty@BELCH.BERKELEY.EDU (Rusty Wright) (12/21/90)

Does Ultrix have any ioctls for controlling the CD-ROM (RRD40 I think)
for playing audio cd discs?  For example, on Suns there are a bunch of
ioctls to start playing at a particular track, pause, resume, stop,
eject, etc.  I seem to remember from a picture I saw a while ago that
there is a headphone jack on the RRD40 drive, but I may be wrong about
that.

frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (12/21/90)

> Does Ultrix have any ioctls for controlling the CD-ROM (RRD40 I think)
> for playing audio cd discs?  For example, on Suns there are a bunch of
> ioctls to start playing at a particular track, pause, resume, stop,
> eject, etc.  I seem to remember from a picture I saw a while ago that
> there is a headphone jack on the RRD40 drive, but I may be wrong about
> that.

Sorry, the RRD40 does not have provisions for playing audio CDs.  I'm
looking at one right now, and it does not have a headphone jack.

					Frank

paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scott Paisley) (12/22/90)

In article <1846@riscy.enet.dec.com> frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

>> Does Ultrix have any ioctls for controlling the CD-ROM (RRD40 I think)
>> for playing audio cd discs?  For example, on Suns there are a bunch of

> Sorry, the RRD40 does not have provisions for playing audio CDs.  I'm
> looking at one right now, and it does not have a headphone jack.

I'm told by my Dec rep that the new CD-ROM drives are going to have
audio out on them.  (yay!)  I asked him why they didn't have audio out
from the beginning, and he said that DEC was worried that the
employees would move them around too much so they could have tunes.
(I doubt that is true, but who knows.)
---
"*Experience to Extremes* "  -Rush from 'the enemy within'

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) (12/24/90)

Support for Audio o/p from the CD is about as exciting as getting
colour TV when your neighbour buys a video camera.

Come on DEC! give us a /dev/audio and microphone input like the Sun SLC.

	-George
--
	G.Michaelson
Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 365 4079