[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with NFS and SunOS 4.1

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (11/27/90)

We have a DECstation 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 and various Sun
workstations, some running SunOS 4.0.3 and some running SunOS 4.1.
When we try to NFS mount a DECstation partition on the Suns, the mount
works fine on the Suns running 4.0.3 and doesn't work on the Suns
running 4.1, failing with "Invalid client credential".  This partition
was previously served by a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1, which
worked fine with SunOS 4.1.  Due to circumstances beyond my control,
the partition had to be moved to the 5000 running Ultrix 4.1, and now
it doesn't work (and people are lining up at my door complaining!).
Of course, other Ultrix systems (v3.1, v4.x) can mount the partition.

I've checked all the obvious things: /etc/exports, /etc/netgroup,
/etc/hosts, rebuilt the YP maps, etc.  We're running mountd on the
DECstation without -i temporarily because of some unrelated (yes, I'm
sure) problems.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix available?

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

alex@bma35b.ma02.bull.com (Alex Bottonelli) (12/07/90)

In article <27515DAB.24702@orion.oac.uci.edu>, iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> We have a DECstation 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 and various Sun
> workstations, some running SunOS 4.0.3 and some running SunOS 4.1.
> When we try to NFS mount a DECstation partition on the Suns, the mount
> works fine on the Suns running 4.0.3 and doesn't work on the Suns
> running 4.1, failing with "Invalid client credential".  This partition
> was previously served by a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1, which
> worked fine with SunOS 4.1.  Due to circumstances beyond my control,
> the partition had to be moved to the 5000 running Ultrix 4.1, and now
> it doesn't work (and people are lining up at my door complaining!).
> Of course, other Ultrix systems (v3.1, v4.x) can mount the partition.
>
> I've checked all the obvious things: /etc/exports, /etc/netgroup,
> /etc/hosts, rebuilt the YP maps, etc.  We're running mountd on the
> DECstation without -i temporarily because of some unrelated (yes, I'm
> sure) problems.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix available?

Well, I can't tell from your explanation whether or not this is your
problem, but I think I have seen this before when moving from one
Unix BSD platform to another Unix Platform. SOmetimes the /etc/export
file must define a "mount point file system" that is no sub-directories
(for example if /usr is a file system you cannot define /usr/proj in
/etc/exports). Under other implementations that is allowed (although
the first case is perfectly compliant with Sun Specs).

Hope this can help ....

     ____        ___ 		||  Alessandro Bottonelli
    /   /  /    /    |/		||  Bull Hn Italia
   /---/  /    /---  /		||  141 Needham St. - Ms 213
  /   /  /___ /___  /|		||  Tel. xx1-617-552-6471
_____________________)		||  Fax. xx1-617-552-5318
				||  Net. ..!uunet!hbiso!bma35b!alex

dela@ee.rochester.edu (Del Armstrong) (12/12/90)

In a previous posting Mike Iglesias says:

> We have a DECstation 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 and various Sun
> workstations, some running SunOS 4.0.3 and some running SunOS 4.1.
> When we try to NFS mount a DECstation partition on the Suns, the mount
> works fine on the Suns running 4.0.3 and doesn't work on the Suns
> running 4.1, failing with "Invalid client credential".

Has anybody else seen this problem? I just brought up a DecStation
500/200 under 4.1 (all my others are at 3.1D), and tried to reproduce the
problem. I couldn't get NFS mounts on a Sparc 4/470 under SunOS 4.1 to
fail! I'm planing to upgrade the rest of my DecStations to 4.1 over
the holiday. But if NFS is really broken I'll have to reconsider.

        Del Armstrong

        Internet    : dela@ee.rochester.edu
        UUCP        :     ...allegra!rochester!ur-valhalla!dela
        Twisted pair: (716) 275-5342
        Last resort : Hopeman 407
                      Electrical Engineering
                      University of Rochester
                      Rochester, N.Y.  14627

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec11.222040.24999@ee.rochester.edu> dela@ee.rochester.edu (Del Armstrong) writes:
>Has anybody else seen this problem? I just brought up a DecStation
>500/200 under 4.1 (all my others are at 3.1D), and tried to reproduce the
>problem. I couldn't get NFS mounts on a Sparc 4/470 under SunOS 4.1 to
>fail! I'm planing to upgrade the rest of my DecStations to 4.1 over
>the holiday. But if NFS is really broken I'll have to reconsider.

I have received mail from a few other people who have seen this problem too.
What I have found so far is that if you put the partition in /etc/fstab
on the Sun, it will mount the partition during a boot with no problems.
If you try to mount the partition by hand, it will fail.

I've been talking to the Ultrix people here at DECUS about this, so maybe
we'll have a real solution soon.  From my experiences noted above,
I'm begining to feel that this may be a Sun problem, not an Ultrix problem.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (12/24/90)

Regarding the problems I and others have had mounting Ultrix v4.1 (v4.0 too?)
partitions on Sun v4.1 systems, we have found one solution.  Our Ultrix
system is a NIS(YP) server for the the Sun, and root ended up in 10
groups on the Sun when the local-to-Sun and NIS groups were put together.
When we reduced the number of groups to 8, the mounts no longer failed
with "invalid client credential", and the mounts succeeded.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Suns or Ultrix.  Does anyone
know if there's a limitation in the mount protocol for the number of
groups that can be passed in the credentials?

Several people sent me email about checking the number of groups that root
was in.  Between the crisis-of-the-day here and going to DECUS, I didn't get a
chance to check it out until earlier this week.

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (12/24/90)

In article <2774FE89.10104@orion.oac.uci.edu> Mike Iglesias <iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu> writes:

>I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Suns or Ultrix.  Does anyone
>know if there's a limitation in the mount protocol for the number of
>groups that can be passed in the credentials?

	I think it's a problem with the old Sun RPC protocol's authorization
system - there's a value NGROUP /usr/include/sys/param.h - on my SunOs3.X
system it is set as:
#define        NGROUPS 8               /* max number groups */

on my ULTRIX 4.0 system:
#define	NGROUPS	32		/* max number groups */

	I'm not sure *who*s problem it is - I'd say it's a problem with
the protocol. A quick grep of the RPC code indicates it's hardcoded right
into authunix_create_default(), where it calls getgroups() - which is also
hard-limited.

mjr.
--
"Don't include .signature twice"   [From the notebooks of a heretic, 1990]