[comp.unix.ultrix] space CONT-d in csh...

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (12/21/90)

So I just noticed that the key sequence      SPACEBAR^d      (that's a
space and a control d) causes csh on ultrix to print the names of all
the csh builtins and every file name in PATH.

I just went through the man page, and unless I missed it, this feature
is not described there. It doesn't work this way on suns. What's the
story here... is this a useful thing?

-Mike

fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (12/21/90)

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu asks about
>So I just noticed that the key sequence      SPACEBAR^d
>I just went through the man page, and unless I missed it, this feature
>is not described there. ...

It is.  See under "Command and Filename Recognition" section of csh(1).  It
is a particular case of CTRL/D for list of options:  suppose there is a command
or a file name of which you remember only the beginning, or you want to know
all commands or filenames (or even user names) starting that way.  Type then
the prefix immediately followed by CTRL/D, and csh will list all possible
completions.

Now your particular case is prefix=SPACE.  Space being the legal prefix of
all possible built-in commands and commands in your $path (since it's actually
ignored), when followed by CTRL/D it lists them all, inasmuch as typing "l"
followed by CTRL/D will list all commands and built-in starting with "l".

On Suns, it exists if you set the filec csh variable.

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (12/25/90)

In article <12378@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:
>So I just noticed that the key sequence      SPACEBAR^d      (that's a
>space and a control d) causes csh on ultrix to print the names of all
>the csh builtins and every file name in PATH.
>
>I just went through the man page, and unless I missed it, this feature
>is not described there. It doesn't work this way on suns. What's the
>story here... is this a useful thing?

Basically <SPACE><^D> will cause the Cshell to print a list of all commands
currently available.  If you do d<^D> you will get a list of all commands
beginning with a 'd', and so on.  I think you need 'set filec' for this to
work properly.

I am surprised you didn't get this to work on a Sun: I have got it working under
SunOs 3.1,4.0.1 and 4.1

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh