[comp.unix.ultrix] VAXstation 2000 and Ultrix 4.1

oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) (12/29/90)

Has anyone been sucessful in getting a diskless 2000 running Ultrix 4.1? I
get as far as building a kernel, but it dies after loading its own kernel and
before it checks devices. It configures as a MicroVAX (MVAX), which is what
I think it should do. Any ideas?

Brian O'Neill - Local Internet Access Account
Internet: oneill@bu-pub.bu.edu
UUCP    : ...!bu.edu!bu-pub!oneill

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (12/29/90)

In article <71323@bu.edu.bu.edu}, oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) writes:
} Has anyone been sucessful in getting a diskless 2000 running Ultrix 4.1? I
} get as far as building a kernel, but it dies after loading its own kernel and
} before it checks devices.

	Please describe in as much detail as reasonably possible what
	"dies" is.  Does it hang?  Does it panic?  Does it halt?

	How much memory does it have?

} It configures as a MicroVAX (MVAX), which is what
} I think it should do. Any ideas?
}
} ============================================================================
} Brian O'Neill - Local Internet Access Account
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

#
#	Please describe in as much detail as reasonably possible what
#	"dies" is.  Does it hang?  Does it panic?  Does it halt?
#
#	How much memory does it have?
#
#Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

OK, a little more clarification. The 2000s are diskless and have 6Mb of
memory. It boots the generic kernel fine, so it doesn't seem to be a memory
constraint problem, but then again genvmunix may be too stupid to quit. When
the built kernel is loaded, it starts off normally, gives the processor type
(KA410 I believe), then panics. It doesn't manage to search for devices.

In article <71354@bu.edu.bu.edu>, oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) writes:
> In article <2189@shodha.enet.dec.com> alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> #In article <71323@bu.edu.bu.edu}, oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) writes:
> [ His question about ULTRIX V4.1 on a VS2000. ]
> #
> # [ My response asking for more information. ]
>
> OK, a little more clarification. The 2000s are diskless and have 6Mb of
> memory.

	Track down the copy of the SPD to see if a 6 MB VS2000
	a supported configuration.  It might matter later on.

> It boots the generic kernel fine, so it doesn't seem to be a memory
> constraint problem, but then again genvmunix may be too stupid to quit.

	The standalone kernel will work in as little as five.  It
	used to be 3.  The generic kernel might work with that,
	because it doesn't expect to have to support anything
	interesting like a window manager.

> When > the built kernel is loaded, it starts off normally, gives the
> processor type (KA410 I believe), then panics. It doesn't manage to
> search for devices.

	What panic?

	Also go check the build directory on the server and look
	at the "errs" file.  This contains all the output from
	the make command that built the kernel.  If there's any
	errors, it might help explain the why there is a problem.