[comp.unix.ultrix] Optimizer broken in cc v2.0 ??

kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) (12/15/90)

I have recently compiled the TeX distribution from stanford
and the basic conclusion is:

	it works with -O1
	it doesn't with -O (same as -O2)

Have people seen enough of these problems that I should
be avoiding the use of -O altogether ?

--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.131806@madmax.Viewlogic.COM>, I wrote:
> I have recently compiled the TeX distribution from stanford
> and the basic conclusion is:
>
> 	it works with -O1
> 	it doesn't with -O (same as -O2)
>
> Have people seen enough of these problems that I should
> be avoiding the use of -O altogether ?

Oops.  I am running on a DECstation 3100
                         Ultrix 4.0
                         mips cc 2.0
--

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec17.121759@madmax.Viewlogic.COM> kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) writes:
>> I have recently compiled the TeX distribution from stanford
>> and the basic conclusion is:
>> 	it works with -O1
>> 	it doesn't with -O (same as -O2)
>> Have people seen enough of these problems that I should
>> be avoiding the use of -O altogether ?
>Oops.  I am running on a DECstation 3100 Ultrix 4.0 mips cc 2.0

cc2.0 has at least one bug that prevents it from compiling TeX3.0
with -O2. We've used cc2.1 and at least this bug has vanished.
Nevertheless, neither cc2.0 nor cc2.1 are that stable at all.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve