[comp.unix.ultrix] Using X terminals with DECstations

fnddr@acad3.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) (01/05/91)

This is hopefully not difficult, but I've just got X11R4 going and I'm still
wading through its documentation.
We want to set up some basic X terminals (Visual 14/ES) for student use.
They would use twm or whatever seems appropriate.  However, we don't want
to dump DECwindows on the console because Display PostScript gets a lot of
use.  So, I would like to leave the console as is in /etc/ttys and still be
able to use xdm for the X terminals.  The xdm doc notes that it doesn't
coexist with other session managers very well, so I thought I'd ask for
solutions before investing a lot of time trying to make it work.

Any solutions or pointers to relevant documents would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don Rice                                  Internet: fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E

mike@denali.uss.tek.com (Michael Ewan) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.185103.17400@ims.alaska.edu> fnddr@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>We want to set up some basic X terminals (Visual 14/ES) for student use.
>They would use twm or whatever seems appropriate.  However, we don't want
>to dump DECwindows on the console because Display PostScript gets a lot of
>use.  So, I would like to leave the console as is in /etc/ttys and still be
>able to use xdm for the X terminals.  The xdm doc notes that it doesn't
>coexist with other session managers very well, so I thought I'd ask for
>solutions before investing a lot of time trying to make it work.

No problem.  Leave /etc/ttys alone.  Make the appropriate entries in
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers for the X-terminals.  Start xdm from /etc/rc.
If you don't make a 'local' entry in the Xservers file then xdm won't
even know about the console.  Check the man page for Xdm(1) for the
syntax for Xservers and the other config files.

Mike
--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike