[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with decnet mail on ultrix

grant@oj.rsmas.miami.edu (Grant Basham) (01/05/91)

I have two nodes running ultrix 4.0, a 3200 and a 5000.  The 3200
receives decnet mail from a vms site.  The other node, oj, the 5000,
fails vms mail:
  $ mail nla0: oj::grant
  %MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node OJ
  -SYSTEM-F-LINKEXIT, network partner exited

Decnet mail from an ultrix site just hangs forever in que with:
   (Deferred: Remote MAIL object at oj not responding)

Best I can tell,  these nodes are setup the same.  sendmail.cf
is the same on both.  Decnet Object setup is identical:
  Object = mail11
  Number                             = 27
  File                               = /usr/etc/mail11dv3
  Default User                       = daemon
  Type                               = Sequenced Packet
  Accept                             = Deferred

The deamon account entry in /etc/passwd is identical on both nodes:
   daemon:*:1:1:Mr Background:/:

Image is the same on both:
  /usr/etc/mail11dv3:     mipsel demand paged executable - version 2.0

Any suggestions on  how to resolve this would be appreciated.
--
Grant@umigw.miami.edu  (Grant Basham)  RSMAS Computer Facility/Systems
(305)361-4026                          University of Miami

thomas@wileecoyote.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (01/06/91)

Newsgroups: grant@oj.rsmas.miami.edu
From: thomas@wileecoyote.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas)
Date: Sat Jan  5 18:13:52 1991 GMT
Subject: Re: Problem with decnet mail on ultrix

In article <1991Jan4.213226.5614@news.miami.edu>, grant@oj.rsmas.miami.edu
(Grant Basham) writes:
|> I have two nodes running ultrix 4.0, a 3200 and a 5000.  The 3200
|> receives decnet mail from a vms site.  The other node, oj, the 5000,
|> fails vms mail:
|>   $ mail nla0: oj::grant
|>   %MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node OJ
|>   -SYSTEM-F-LINKEXIT, network partner exited
|>
|> Decnet mail from an ultrix site just hangs forever in que with:
|>    (Deferred: Remote MAIL object at oj not responding)

Is there anything in the syslog file on oj?
Is the directory /var/tmp other writeable?
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@pal.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas

mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) (01/07/91)

(Grant Basham) writes:
> I have two nodes running ultrix 4.0, a 3200 and a 5000.  The 3200
> receives decnet mail from a vms site.  The other node, oj, the 5000,
> fails vms mail:
>   $ mail nla0: oj::grant
>   %MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node OJ
>   -SYSTEM-F-LINKEXIT, network partner exited
>
> Decnet mail from an ultrix site just hangs forever in que with:
>    (Deferred: Remote MAIL object at oj not responding)

I had exactly this problem over the last few days. The problem, in my
case, were the permissions on /usr/tmp not being 777.

[This happened after I newfs'd a new partition and mounted it as /usr/tmp
and forgot to do the appropriate chmod.]

					Michael

|                     |     Internet: paddon@meo78b.enet.dec.com  |
|  Michael Paddon     |     ACSnet:   mwp@ubeaut.oz.au            |
|                     |     ACSnet:   mwp@munnari.oz.au           |
|                     |     Voice:    +61 3 895 9392              |

grant@oj.miami.edu (Grant Basham) (01/08/91)

Thanks to Matt Thomas, Frederick M. Avolio, and Michael Paddon  who
correctly pointed out that the directory /usr/tmp -> /var/tmp needed
protection of 777 rather than the 755 it had on my system.