[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.1, local mail is from daemon

rusty@BELCH.BERKELEY.EDU (Rusty Wright) (01/04/91)

Local mail on my DECstation always has daemon in the From line,
although the From: line shows the correct sender.  Here is a sample:

	From daemon Thu Jan  3 20:59:36 1991
	Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 20:59:35 -0800
	From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
	To: rusty

I suspect that its from the Ou1 that's in the sendmail.cf file that we
use here at UC Berkeley.  But if I remember correctly, that's been
there forever; why don't other sendmail's put daemon in the From line?
Is there something other than Ou1 that I should have in my sendmail.cf
file?  Or should I delete it?

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (01/05/91)

In article <9101040511.AA04290@belch.Berkeley.EDU>, rusty@BELCH.BERKELEY.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
> Local mail on my DECstation always has daemon in the From line,
> although the From: line shows the correct sender.  Here is a sample:
>
> 	From daemon Thu Jan  3 20:59:36 1991
> 	Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 20:59:35 -0800
> 	From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
> 	To: rusty
>
> I suspect that its from the Ou1 that's in the sendmail.cf file that we
> use here at UC Berkeley.  But if I remember correctly, that's been
> there forever; why don't other sendmail's put daemon in the From line?
> Is there something other than Ou1 that I should have in my sendmail.cf
> file?  Or should I delete it?

Is sendmail running set-uid?  (It needs to be.)  Is 'root' one of the
'Trusted users'?

I seem to recall the setuid problem on SYSV machines, but I guess it could
happen on BSD too...

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #2:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall        csh> got a light?        pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com (dave barrett) (01/06/91)

In article <9101040511.AA04290@belch.Berkeley.EDU> rusty@BELCH.BERKELEY.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
>Local mail on my DECstation always has daemon in the From line,
>although the From: line shows the correct sender.  Here is a sample:
>
>	From daemon Thu Jan  3 20:59:36 1991
>	Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 20:59:35 -0800
>	From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
>	To: rusty
>
>I suspect that its from the Ou1 that's in the sendmail.cf file that we
>use here at UC Berkeley.  But if I remember correctly, that's been
>there forever; why don't other sendmail's put daemon in the From line?
>Is there something other than Ou1 that I should have in my sendmail.cf
>file?  Or should I delete it?

The sendmail.cf file that comes with ULTRIX 4.0 (I'm not sure if it's
in 4.1) should be patched.  The line:

Mlocal,	P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFmn, S=10, R=10, A=mail -d $u

Should be modified so:

Mlocal,	P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFmn, S=10, R=10, A=mail -r $f -d $u

Then "refreeze" your sendmail file (sendmail -bz in single user mode).

This is not an "official" patch, but it works fine for the above problem
(Thanks to Fred Avolio)

	David Barrett

	dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com
	..!decwrl!riscy.enet!dbb

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/08/91)

The only thing I would clarify on Dave's posting is --- you should not
refreeze the sendmail config file in single user mode.  Well, you can
but you better make sure that the running system has the correct
answer for the hostname call.

refreeze the config file in mutli-user mode.  kill the running sendmail
(just the first one is fine).  restart it as it is in rc.local.

fred