[comp.unix.ultrix] uucp Dialout via decserver?

jeff@wisdom.UUCP (Jeff Ross) (01/07/91)

this weekend, I attempted to get our uucp host to call out via a modem
(telebit T2500) connected to a decserver 200.  I have been able to
accept calls in with no problems.  however, getting calls to go out seems
to be a little problem.

I have set the decserver for access to be dynamic, I enabled modem control,
handshakeing is CTS, and characteristics are dialup.  I also set a dedicated
service to my uucp host.

in order to assign a tty device to the decserver port I did the following:

/etc/lcp -h /dev/tty15:MD2051:PORT_5

when I go to dial, I get a dial failure and uucico aborts.

any suggestions??? did I miss something simple??

					Jeff

sig?!?!?! you want a stinkin' sig????
uucp:   jeff@wisdom.uucp   /*  ...!rutgers!wisdom!jeff  */
arpa:   ross@fdurt1.fdu.edu		MaBell: 201-299-1819

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (01/08/91)

In article <jeff.8251@wisdom.UUCP> jeff@wisdom.UUCP (Jeff Ross) writes:
>this weekend, I attempted to get our uucp host to call out via a modem
>(telebit T2500) connected to a decserver 200.  I have been able to
>accept calls in with no problems.  however, getting calls to go out seems
>to be a little problem.
>
>I have set the decserver for access to be dynamic, I enabled modem control,
>handshakeing is CTS, and characteristics are dialup.  I also set a dedicated
>service to my uucp host.
>
>in order to assign a tty device to the decserver port I did the following:
>
>/etc/lcp -h /dev/tty15:MD2051:PORT_5
>
>when I go to dial, I get a dial failure and uucico aborts.
>
>any suggestions??? did I miss something simple??

I tried to do the same thing last month but in the end gave up.
When I set the :db: flag in the Dialers script it seemed to me as if the
MicroVax thought that 'cd' was being set when it shouldn't be.
The output went something like:
synching
dialing
cd
nocd
dial failed

cd was being asserted when the modem was preparing to dial, but then dropping
almost straight away.  This caused the dialer to fail even before the modem
had a chance to dial the first digit!
Yet the same configuration worked OK if I plug the modem into a direct serial
port

When I asked Dec UK about this they said something like 'get an extra serial
card.  LAT wasn't designed for the high throughput UUCP can give'.

No, I didn't believe that either!

Sorry I can't help more

    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh
            What an idea!	    |        sweh%tharr.uucp@uk.co.bt.axion
Wanted: humour transplant           |        tharr!sweh@uk.ac.ukc
     <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->
--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh
            What an idea!	    |        sweh%tharr.uucp@uk.co.bt.axion
Wanted: humour transplant           |        tharr!sweh@uk.ac.ukc
     <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

dschenfeld@cup.portal.com (David - Schenfeld) (01/13/91)

I spent a week playing with tip (and cu) on Ultrix 4.0 with a DECSERVER 200
and I couldn't get it to work.  I kept getting "all ports busy"..  I called
DEC and they spent a few hours with me trying to get tip to work.
We got tip to work SOMETIMES by lowing the baud rate for the service
I was trying to call (in the /etc/remote file) to 2400 from 19200.  This
didn't make too much sense to us because this was going over a LAT.  One
of the DEC people told me that tip may not support "19200" as a baud rate.
Anyway, I still couldn't get it to work reliably.
It suddenly dawned on me that tip may be tiping out trying to open the port
(because of the longer time it may take to open the port on the LAT)...

The solution:  I figured I'd try to get tip sources and see what it was doing.
I FTP'd sources from wuarchive.wustl.edu, made minor revisions to the source
to get it to compile, and it worked fine!!!  I didn't have to tamper with the
way tip opened the ports.  I wonder what DEC did to get their tip to be
so picky!
-David