[comp.unix.ultrix] Dynamic loading in Ultrix

bogaart@lager.serc.nl (Eugene Bogaart) (01/17/91)

Hi Netlanders,

 I have a question about dynamic loading in Ultrix. !  I have tried to
load dynamically functions which are in libc.a, such as gethostent !
The loader then complains about:

 >ld:
 /lib/libc.a(gethostent.o): object not compiled with -G 0 will not work linking with -A

Does anybody know if DEC fixed this in any of the 4.x release of
Ultrix. Or in other words: are there versions of libc.a which can be
used with dynamic loading or even tools which covert libc.a to a
version which can be use with dynamic loading.

Eugene

--

Name:     Eugene Bogaart | Software Engineering Research Centre
Email:   bogaart@serc.nl | Lange Viestraat 365  3511 BK Utrecht

muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) (01/17/91)

In article <BOGAART.91Jan16152640@lager.serc.nl>, bogaart@lager.serc.nl (Eugene  Bogaart) writes:

> Does anybody know if DEC fixed this in any of the 4.x release of
> Ultrix. Or in other words: are there versions of libc.a which can be
> used with dynamic loading or even tools which covert libc.a to a
> version which can be use with dynamic loading.

I run Ultrix 4.0 on my DECstation, and /usr/lib contains libc_G0.a and
libm_G0.a. From the names, I guess that this is what you need.

Eric Muller.
System Research Center - 130 Lytton Av. - Palo Alto, CA 94301 - (415) 853 2193

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (01/17/91)

In article <BOGAART.91Jan16152640@lager.serc.nl> bogaart@lager.serc.nl (Eugene  Bogaart) writes:

    I have a question about dynamic loading in Ultrix. !  I have tried to
   load dynamically functions which are in libc.a, such as gethostent !
   The loader then complains about:

    >ld:
    /lib/libc.a(gethostent.o): object not compiled with -G 0 will not work linking with -A

   Does anybody know if DEC fixed this in any of the 4.x release of
   Ultrix. Or in other words: are there versions of libc.a which can be
   used with dynamic loading or even tools which covert libc.a to a
   version which can be use with dynamic loading.

Try using libc_G0.a instead.  It is a -G 0 version of libc.

g.

--
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309