[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 4.0 C2 Compliant Printing or what???

mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) (01/17/91)

   Hi folk,

   Hope someone can help me out there.  We're converting to Ultrix 4.x and
I need to know how DEC gets C2 compliance (DIS security rating) for running
on a secure system with no apparent modifications for printing classified
output.

   From what I've been able to surmise, nothing special was
done with the lpr subsystem to handle classified output (i.e. marked banner
pages, classification headers and footers on each page, logging classification
of job).

   We're running modified source 3.1 right now and we make mods to the
lpr subsystem to handle this stuff, but I can't figure out what DEC did
to handle it in 4.x.

   Any help or pointers would be immensely appreciated.

   Thanks in advance,
   Mark

--
*Mark Marino             * The old ranger weathered the storm and he topped the
*mwm@raybed6.msd.ray.com * rise by the middle of morn.  He saw rippled dunes,

In article <1991@raybed2.msd.ray.com> mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) writes:
>   Hope someone can help me out there.  We're converting to Ultrix 4.x and
>I need to know how DEC gets C2 compliance (DIS security rating) for running
>on a secure system with no apparent modifications for printing classified
>output.

Has Ultrix 4.x actually been rated?

In any case, the C2 security rating doesn't require distinguishing between
security levels.  Mandatory security levels are introduced in the B
ratings.  If I remember correctly (it has been several years since the
Multics B2 project that I was involved with), the main features of the C
ratings are discretionary access control, protection of security
information, and auditing.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com