[comp.unix.ultrix] NFSWATCH 3.0 now available.

davy@.erg.sri.com (David Curry) (01/25/91)

NFSWATCH Version 3.0 is now available for anonymous FTP from the hosts

	ftp.erg.sri.com		(128.18.4.39)
	gatekeeper.dec.com	(16.1.0.2)

in the file "pub/nfswatch3.0.tar.Z".  We do not have UUCP access.  Please
do not ask me to mail you a copy; I don't have time.  I'm sure that the
various archive sites (sun-spots, osu-cis, etc.) will pick it up in the
next few days...

The README file is enclosed below.

								January, 1991

This is NFSWATCH Version 3.0.  It lets you monitor NFS requests to any
given machine, or the entire local network.  It only monitors NFS
client traffic (NFS requests), it does not (and cannot) monitor the
return traffic from the server in response to those requests.

There have been many changes since NFSWATCH 2.0:

	- The "-allif" option allows NFSWATCH to read packets from all
	  configured network interfaces, instead of only a single
	  interface.

	- The '[' and ']' commands have been added to "scroll" the
	  bottom part of the display, which when displaying client
	  names can be longer than the number of lines you have.

	- The 'p' command changes the display to show NFS procedures
	  and the percentages of each.

	- A real help screen has been added to replace the single-line
	  help.

	- The per-client table for recording statistics is now hashed, for
	  better speed.

	- NFSWATCH now compiles and runs on Ultrix 4.1.

	- When Ultrix 4.2 comes out, the code is present to allow
	  capture of "packets to self" (the machine NFSWATCH is
	  running on), so the "pfcopyall" program will no longer be
	  needed.

	- There is a bug in the NIT driver under pre-4.1 SunOS which
	  will make NFSWATCH not classify packets properly (they all
	  end up as "other").  The #ifdefs intended to avoid this in
	  version 2.0 have been fixed.

	- NFSWATCH now attempts to intuit the byte order in the file
	  handle, so that machines with opposite-order bytes from the
	  one NFSWATCH is running on can still be decoded.  Since file
	  handles are opaque, this is better than nothing, but not by
	  much.

NFSWATCH has been tested on the following architectures:

	Sun-3 SunOS 4.1
	Sun-4 SunOS 4.1

	DEC VAX   Ultrix 4.0, 4.1
	DEC RISC  Ultrix 4.0, 4.1

To compile NFSWATCH, just type "make".  On SunOS systems, it needs to
either be run as root, or made setuid root (this is safe; it setuids
itself back after opening the NIT device).  On Ultrix systems, it does
not need to be setuid root or run as root, but the super-user has to
enable promiscuous mode operation using pfconfig(8).

On pre-4.2 Ultrix systems, the enclosed "pfcopyall" program can be
used to change the value of this variable in the kernel so that you
can see packets from the host you are running on.  Otherwise, these
packets will not be included in the output of NFSWATCH.

You can redistribute this program as much as you want.  All we ask is
that you ive credit where credit is due.  If you make modifications or
bug fixes, please send them to us so they can be incorporated into the
next release.

Dave Curry					Jeff Mogul
SRI International				Digital Equipment Corp.
333 Ravenswood Avenue				Western Research Laboratory
Menlo Park, CA 94025				100 Hamilton Avenue
davy@erg.sri.com				Palo Alto, CA 94301
						mogul@decwrl.dec.com

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.192656.921@erg.sri.com> davy@.erg.sri.com (David Curry) writes:
>NFSWATCH Version 3.0 is now available for anonymous FTP from the hosts
>
>	ftp.erg.sri.com		(128.18.4.39)
>	gatekeeper.dec.com	(16.1.0.2)
>
>in the file "pub/nfswatch3.0.tar.Z".  We do not have UUCP access.  Please
>do not ask me to mail you a copy; I don't have time.  I'm sure that the
>various archive sites (sun-spots, osu-cis, etc.) will pick it up in the
>next few days...

One correction: on gatekeeper.dec.com, the file is
	pub/net/nfs/nfswatch3.0.tar.Z
We have over 20,000 files available for public FTP on gatekeeper,
so keeping them all in "pub/" would be unpleasant.

And don't ask me, either, to help you get a copy.  You could try
sending mail to "ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com", with the word "help"
in the body (Subject: is ignored) for information on an FTP-by-mail
service ... but I will not answer requests for help with this service.

My thanks to David Curry for inventing this program and working with
me to make sure it works on Ultrix (4.0 and later).

-Jeff