[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with LAT printers...exit

brendan@otago.ac.nz (Brendan Murray, OUCSC) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan22.164300.12034@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) writes:

> 	We're having some trouble with LAT printers under Ultrix 4.1.
> The jobs seem to print out okay, but then Ultrix doesn't let go of the
> port (SHOW SESSIONS PORT 1 on the DECserver says that the port is still
> connected to the Ultrix system).  The next time a job is submitted to
> that printer queue, Ultrix thinks that the port is busy and marks the
> queue as stalled.  I can logout the DECserver port, and Ultrix will
> print again until the queue is empty.  Then it's locked up again.
>
> 	Most of our printers are shared by multiple systems, and all of
> the rest of them are VMS systems.  The VMS systems have no trouble with
> the port.
>
> 	The DECserver in question is a DS100, running version 2.0 of the
> DS100 software.
>
> 	Has anyone else experienced this?  Better yet, does anyone know
> how to fix it?  I'm almost tempted to set all the queues up to use lpr
> to one of the VMS nodes!! :-)
> --

I have definitely experienced it. Telephone support got us to upgrade our
decserver software. We went to 3.0 for our 200's. We don't run ds100's.

Unfortunately I haven't got around to doing anything with the ultrix queues
since. I had the workaround to make VMS handle it all and just haven't had time
to fix it up properly. ANyway VMS is really only good for printer serving and
such.

 Brendan Murray				Systems Manager
 Computing Services Center	        Email:  brendan@otago.ac.nz
 University Of Otago     		Phone:  +64 3 479-8597
 PO Box 56                      	  FAX:  +64 3 479-8577
 Dunedin, New Zealand		          PSI:	PSI%0530124000016::brendan