[comp.unix.ultrix] Putting a message before a login prompt????

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan24.220604.18448@hoss.unl.edu>, anitac@hoss.unl.edu (Anita Cook) writes:
> How do I insert a customized message prior to the login
> prompt.  For example:
>
> Welcome to the University of Nebraska (Lincoln) Library
> Public users type "library" at login prompt
>
> login:

Look in the /etc/gettytab file.  The first entry is a default entry
for all connections.  If you change one of the parameters there (I
can't remember which one it is), you can change the login message.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall             csh> \(-            pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (01/29/91)

Look for the default entry in /etc/gettytab.  Change it to what appears below.
Have fun!

					Frank

# CAUTION:
#    The ULTRIX version number is now edited into this default entry
#    when /etc/rc.local executes. Examine the code in /etc/rc.local
#    before making any changes to this default gettytab entry.
#
default:\
	:ap:fd#1000:\
	:im=\r\n\r\n\Welcome to the University of Nebraska (Lincoln) Library\r\n\
Public users type "library" at the login promt\r\n\r\n\
ULTRIX V4.0 (Rev. 179) \
(%h)\r\n\r\r\n\r:\
	:sp#1200:

#