[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with screen flicker

mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) (01/30/91)

I have a DecStation 3100/Ultrix with the standard DEC 15 inch color monitor.
I am having a problem with screen flicker.  A DEC technician looked at
my machine and told me that according to the diagnostics that the
monitor is functioning properly and that the flicker does not occur
where they ran the tests.  They told me there must be something around
my office which is causing the problem.  However, that answer does not
help me much.

I have heard several theories about this problem including that the DEC
color monitors just do not work very well and that they have a problem
with an adequate refresh rate.

Has anybody had this problem?  If so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Marianne E. King
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov
(415) 423-4116

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) (01/31/91)

In article <90383@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) writes:
[stuff deleted]

|> I have heard several theories about this problem including that the DEC
|> color monitors just do not work very well and that they have a problem
|> with an adequate refresh rate.
|>
|> Has anybody had this problem?  If so, please let me know.

I've seen this also.  I think it has to do with an intersection of the refresh
rate and the 60Hz flicker in flourescent lighting.  I found the thing to be
unusable except under incandescent lighting or darkness.

Mike

--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!uunet!raven.uss.tek.com!mike

bbraden@mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) (01/31/91)

In article <90383@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) writes:

>I am having a problem with screen flicker....
>
>Has anybody had this problem?  If so, please let me know.

We had this exact problem on a black and white monitor (VR260) some time
back and it was being caused by a PC clone that was sitting too close to
the monitor.  The affected user rearranged his desk moveing the PC
further away and the problem went away.  It is still not clear weather
the cause was the PCs CPU or its monitor but I would suspect the
monitor.

Bill Braden		!uunet!mesrx!bbraden

	"Onward Through the Fog"