[net.micro] HP110 info

kdale@MINET-VHN-EM.ARPA (Keith Dale) (08/13/85)

I am looking seriously into  getting  an  HP110  laptop  portable  for
personal  use.  I chose the HP110 because I wanted a laptop that would
run Lotus 123 (that automatically required it  to  be  some sort of a
16-bit PC and run MS-DOS).  The HP110 seemed the logical choice.

My questions are:
	1) How happy are current owners of the HP110 (with the
	   Portable, not necessarily things in general)?
	2) What version of 123 is in ROM?  Future changes?
	3) What is the going price for the HP110 and the HP9114
	   disk drive?  I'd have to mail-order it, so I'd also
	   appreciate a few *reliable* sources.  The only price
	   I've seen quoted is $2295 for the HP110.
	4) Should I consider any other laptop?  DG/1, or Sharp
	   5000 for instance?

Thanks in advance!!

Keith M. Dale                           ** Disclaimer: I don't own 'em,
(kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa)                  work for 'em, or have any
BBN Comm Corp                              connection with 'em, so why
Stuttgart, W. Germany                      pick on me?

***Disclaimer: I have no affiliation
   with the aforemention

geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) (08/16/85)

In article <681@brl-tgr.ARPA> kdale@MINET-VHN-EM.ARPA (Keith Dale) writes:
>	1) How happy are current owners of the HP110 (with the
>	   Portable, not necessarily things in general)?
We like ours.  You might be happier with the new model, since
it has a full screen (24x80) but 16 x 80 isn't too bad, and
it's a lot more legible than the DG-1.
>	2) What version of 123 is in ROM?  Future changes?
Version 1A.  No changes possible with the old model.  The
new model, software in rom is totally unbundled.
>	3) What is the going price for the HP110 and the HP9114
>	   disk drive?  I'd have to mail-order it, so I'd also
>	   appreciate a few *reliable* sources.  The only price
>	   I've seen quoted is $2295 for the HP110.
I haven't seen prices on the new model yet, the old model is $2295,
but expect it to drop rather drastically since the new one is out.
>	4) Should I consider any other laptop?  DG/1, or Sharp
>	   5000 for instance?
The New Heath-Zenith is almost a spitting image of the HP.  It sells
for $1100, but with only 32K.  Unless memory is super expensive,
a better deal.  It doesn't have Lotus 123 though, it has all-
microsoft, with Multiplan, Word, Basic, etc.

geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) (08/16/85)

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention: HP sells a
card that fits in an IBM PC/XT/AT that interfaces the
HP110 into a serial network with the PC.  This allows you
to use the IBM's drives and programs.  Thus you don't
really have to buy the 3" expensive drive unless you
need a battery operated one.  The same card lets you
use the little battery powered thinkjet printer with
the IBM, or even network a bunch of IBM's together.  The
transfer rate is quite good.  Sort of a poor man's
Ethernet.  The cost?  $100.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/17/85)

> 	4) Should I consider any other laptop?  DG/1, or Sharp
> 	   5000 for instance?

I don't know about the sharp, but the DG-1 isn't completely IBM-compatible.
Make sure whatever you get can run an off-the-shelf version of Crosstalk
or other communication programs. The only one I have found is the Kaypro
2000...
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

> We like ours.  You might be happier with the new model, since
> it has a full screen (24x80) but 16 x 80 isn't too bad, and
> it's a lot more legible than the DG-1.

Have you seen the NEW DG-1 screen? It's as legible as any I've seen and
better than many. If only it used 8250's instead of 8351's it'd be perfect!

Oh, another plug for the Kaypro-2000. You can max it out to more than 640K
(the extra memory becomes a RAMDISK) using conventional rams, cheaply.
--

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/20/85)

> I am looking seriously into  getting  an  HP110  laptop  portable  for
> personal  use.  I chose the HP110 because I wanted a laptop that would
> run Lotus 123 (that automatically required it  to  be  some sort of a
> 16-bit PC and run MS-DOS).  The HP110 seemed the logical choice.

The HP-110 has a modified version of 1-2-3 version 1A in ROM.  I have
heard no plans to offer any upgrade.

The HP-110 has no built in disks, except for a RAM disk that gets eaten
every time you have a run-away program walk all over memory.

The DG-1 has built in disks, and 1-2-3 is currently available for it.

The DG-1 also has a 25 line display and very good ibm-pc compatibility
(except for comm).  The HP has a 16 line display and no compatibility.
future software for the 110 with the new 25 line version coming out
is questionable.

(The new version of the HP does not include 1-2-3 built in - but a
ROM pak with version 1A will be available)

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/22/85)

In article <433@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> 	4) Should I consider any other laptop?  DG/1, or Sharp
>> 	   5000 for instance?
>
>I don't know about the sharp, but the DG-1 isn't completely IBM-compatible.
>Make sure whatever you get can run an off-the-shelf version of Crosstalk
>or other communication programs. The only one I have found is the Kaypro
>2000...

Communications programs such as Professional-YAM and Crosstalk are available
in DG/One versions.

One minor point to consider: most if not all of the lap-tops have a modified
keyboard layout, with fewer keys than a PC.  This affects Pro-YAM's VT100
Alternate Keypad emulation, since there isn't a keypad to remap!

Other than that subtlety, the Kaypro-2000 runs a stock Pro-YAM at speeds
of 19200 bps and less.  Since it has only one disk drive, whereas the DG/One
has room for two, you may run into "one hand clapping" problems.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (08/22/85)

<<<
<
< HP sells a card that fits in an IBM PC/XT/AT that interfaces the
< HP110 into a serial network with the PC.  This allows you to use
< the IBM's drives and programs.  Thus you don't really have to buy
< the 3" expensive drive unless you need a battery operated one.The
< same card lets you use the little battery powered thinkjet printer
< with the IBM, or even network a bunch of IBM's together. The transfer
< rate is quite good.  Sort of a poor man's Ethernet.  The cost?  $100.
<

Actually it's $125 suggested list. The card is called HP-LINK and it will
connect a HP-150 or IBM Clone into the Hewlett-Packard Interface Loop. This
is a low power serial version of HP-IB that is optimized for low power
battery operation. Software provided can either operate disks and
printers on the loop or emulate a disk or printer using the computers
internal disks. It lets you do neat things like connect two PC-XT's together
and clone the hard disks with a single diskcopy command. Data rate is about
60K bits/Sec so you might want leave that one running overnight.

HP-LINK is built into the HP Portables so you can pass files between any two
machines without having to go through floppies.It does work with the AT but
you have to be careful about accessing a hard disk with 16 bit FAT entries
from a computer expecting  12 bit entries.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

Disclaimer: I didn't do HP-LINK but the guy across the aisle from me did.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/29/85)

> Communications programs such as Professional-YAM and Crosstalk are available
> in DG/One versions.

I know that. I'm using Crosstalk on our DG-1. Since the reason we got the
DG-1 was to run a special custom terminal program this failing is somewhat
more irritating in our case.

> One minor point to consider: most if not all of the lap-tops have a modified
> keyboard layout, with fewer keys than a PC.  This affects Pro-YAM's VT100
> Alternate Keypad emulation, since there isn't a keypad to remap!

It also breaks Superkey and Prokey. I beleive the Kaypro comes with a keyboard
enhancer of its own so this isn't a problem. For another failing of the DG-1,
see my previous message about expanding the buffer.
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva