[comp.unix.ultrix] NFS

jeff@satchmo (Jeff Detterman) (01/31/91)

Is it possible to have two separate fstab files. One for
ufs (local disks) and one for remote disks (NFS). The reason
I want to do this is that I anticipate having a large number
of machines to mount and it would be nice if I had one global
fstab file. I talked to my local DEC wizzard and he suggested
creating the fstab file at boot time from two separate files.
Any other ideas.

Also I would like to able to mount directories with root
priviledges to the admin nodes (defined in netgroups) and
allow the rest of the world non-root priviledges. I tried
creating separate entries in my exports file but it seems
to only read the first entry. I know that I can do this for
subdirectories:

exports file
/usr
/usr/spool/mail -r=0

this works but why does this not work

exports file
/usr
/usr -r=0 admin

where admin is defined in netgroups.
The reason I want to do this is so that I can do backup from
one central location.

Thanks in adavance

--
Jeff Detterman, Rockwell International, Cedar Rapids, Ia
Email : j_detter@hwking.catd.cr.rok.com

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.150259.28183@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com> jeff@satchmo (Jeff Detterman) writes:
>Is it possible to have two separate fstab files. One for
>ufs (local disks) and one for remote disks (NFS). The reason
>I want to do this is that I anticipate having a large number
>of machines to mount and it would be nice if I had one global
>fstab file. I talked to my local DEC wizzard and he suggested
>creating the fstab file at boot time from two separate files.
>Any other ideas.

Look into using the automounter on your systems.  You can either have
automount startup files on all of them, or distribute the automount
maps via NIS (YP).  We use NIS to distribute our maps;  we have around
35 systems (DECstations and Sun 3s and 4s) mounting a common set of
4 partitions via the automounter.  One of our DECstations is the NIS
master.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu