[comp.unix.ultrix] Does V4.1 DECnet installation also require V4.0 media?

pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) (01/28/91)

I just installed ULTRIX V4.1 from the CDROM on a virgin system.  The
installation was uneventful, and it seemed that the installation automatically
did the mandatory update.  Is that correct, or do I have to manually do the
mandatory update, or is there none?

Also, when I tried to install DECnet from the same CD, setld complains that
"DNPBASE400 requires the existence of the UDTBASE400 subset to operate
correctly."  As best I can tell, the UDTBASE400 subset ain't on the
distribution media.  Does that mean that to install DECnet from the V4.1 media
I also need the V4.0 media?  Do I risk trashing my V4.1 stuff by installing the
V4.0 stuff?

Philip A. Naecker                Consulting Software Engineer
Internet: pan@propress.com       1010 East Union Street, Suite 101
          uunet!prowest!pan      Pasadena, CA  91106-1756
Voice:    +1 818 577 4820        FAX: +1 818 577 0073

Also:     Technology Editor, DEC Professional Magazine
          VAX Professional Magazine Review Board Member

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (01/28/91)

In article <7091@prowest.propress.com>, pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) writes:
> I just installed ULTRIX V4.1 from the CDROM on a virgin system.  The
> installation was uneventful, and it seemed that the installation automatically
> did the mandatory update.  Is that correct, or do I have to manually do the
> mandatory update, or is there none?
>
> Also, when I tried to install DECnet from the same CD, setld complains that
> "DNPBASE400 requires the existence of the UDTBASE400 subset to operate
> correctly."  As best I can tell, the UDTBASE400 subset ain't on the
> distribution media.  Does that mean that to install DECnet from the V4.1 media
> I also need the V4.0 media?  Do I risk trashing my V4.1 stuff by installing the

We did the same rather uneventful install last weekend (Ultrix 4.1 and DECnet
4.0(?)).  The DECnet install also compained about not finding the UDTBASE400
subset.  So I manually created the lock files to make it appear that the
4.0 subsets were loaded:

	/bin/cp /dev/null /usr/etc/subsets/UDTBASE400.lk
	/bin/cp /dev/null /usr/etc/subsets/UDTBIN400.lk
	/bin/cp /dev/null /usr/etc/subsets/UDTCOMM400.lk

So far, everything seems to work ok.

Peter
	/bin/cp /dev/null /usr/etc/subsets/UDTMAN400.lk
Peter Murray	                         176 Thompson Hall, Oxford, Ohio  45056
ACS Consultant                        pemurray@miavx1.[bitnet | acs.muohio.edu]
APSVAX/APSTWR/APSRISC Manager                     pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu
Student Hacker                         NeXT Mail:  pmurray@next4.acs.muohio.edu

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (01/28/91)

In article <7091@prowest.propress.com> pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) writes:
>I just installed ULTRIX V4.1 from the CDROM on a virgin system.  The
>installation was uneventful, and it seemed that the installation automatically
>did the mandatory update.  Is that correct, or do I have to manually do the
>mandatory update, or is there none?

The mandatory upgrade is installed during the installation. It asks if you
have a upgrade tape, and if so it loads it during the regular installation.
Saves a kernel rebuild!

>Also, when I tried to install DECnet from the same CD, setld complains that
>"DNPBASE400 requires the existence of the UDTBASE400 subset to operate
>correctly."  As best I can tell, the UDTBASE400 subset ain't on the
>distribution media.  Does that mean that to install DECnet from the V4.1 media
>I also need the V4.0 media?  Do I risk trashing my V4.1 stuff by installing the
>V4.0 stuff?

You don't have to install 4.0. What you do have to do is execute the following:

cd /usr/etc/subsets

foreach i ( U*410.lk )
 touch ` echo $i | sed -e 's/410/400/' `
 touch ` echo $i | sed -e 's/410/400/' | sed -e 's/lk$/ctrl/' `
 touch ` echo $i | sed -e 's/410/400/' | sed -e 's/lk$/scp/' `
end

chmod 744 U*400.scp

This creates the 4.0 control files so products like DECnet think that 4.0
is installed.

This is mentioned in the 4.1 release notes (or installation guide).

Roland

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems/Network Manager
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

francus@e2big.mko.dec.com (Yoseff Francus) (02/01/91)

In article <7091@prowest.propress.com> pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) writes:
>I just installed ULTRIX V4.1 from the CDROM on a virgin system.  The
>installation was uneventful, and it seemed that the installation automatically
>did the mandatory update.  Is that correct, or do I have to manually do the
>mandatory update, or is there none?

That is correct behavior, you have
to put in the mandatory upgrade.

>Also, when I tried to install DECnet from the same CD, setld complains that
>"DNPBASE400 requires the existence of the UDTBASE400 subset to operate
>correctly."

What you need to do is the following. Go to /usr/etc/subsets
and

# touch UDTBASE400.lk UDTBIN400.lk UDTINET400.lk UDTMAN400.lk

setld will now assume that those subsets have been created
and will properly install DECnet.

>Philip A. Naecker                Consulting Software Engineer

--
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree

francus%metsny.mko.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com