[net.micro] Shareware question

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (08/15/85)

Why is that "Shareware" is so popular?  Is it because you can get free
software, yet not feel guilty for stealing it?  Or is there some other
fact that I am missing?  Recently I saw a posting on the net from some
fellow who wanted a Shareware C compiler.  Why?  Is it because Shareware
usually includes source?  I know of at least two C compilers that included
source, one of them that sold for only $60.  Shareware does not
include source until you pay for it, so what is the difference?

No, I think that the biggest incentive for Shareware is that it is an
ethically ok way to pirate software.  If this has offended you, think
about it... What would be the loss to you if I offered a package for a
low cost (Shareware prices), with source and a 30-day money back
guarentee?  You would still get everything you did with Shareware
(low cost, source, try it out free, etc) and I would get my money.
Oh, there would be some who would copy it and then get their money
back, but that's life.

Now you are going to say that if I did it this way, you would be able
to give a copy to your friends so that they could try it out.  I
agree, but you can't give away your BYTE magazine for them to try it
either.  Then can use yours, or they can order their own on a 30-day
money back deal.

	Replies welcome, flames by mail (or to net.flame)...

				Bjorn Benson

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (wilkin) (08/16/85)

> Why is that "Shareware" is so popular?  Is it because you can get free
> software, yet not feel guilty for stealing it?  Or is there some other
> fact that I am missing?

Yes, as a matter of fact there is a point you are missing.
1) Shareware does not come with silly protection worms or whatever.
Ok you say but there are many fine programs which do not protect.

This scores the bulleye for me. How can I tell IF a program is good?
Should I buy a copy of it ? Should I try to find a dealer who has a copy
AND will let me test the software on my machine? No, I think not.

Shareware is just what the name implies, software to share. Therefore
I assume the writer of this software wants me to try her/his program
and pay only if it works and is usable by me.

(These are my opinions etc...)
--

George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
312-979-6593 work

edw@ihopa.UUCP (Edwin Windes) (08/16/85)

>         ... What would be the loss to you if I offered a package for a
> low cost (Shareware prices), with source and a 30-day money back
> guarentee?

 HO, HO, HO!!

	this belongs in net.jokes, right?

tell me the next time you see a software package with _any_ guarentee.  i
think the popularity is due to a bit of honesty in users.  they really don't
want to steal software, but what kind of a jerk shells out >300 dollars for
something he has never had a chance to try out, and comes with an agreement
that doesn't even promise the program will run?
--
-----
--------

			till 8/15 ||
				  \/ then back to school

				...!ihnp4!ihopa!edw
				AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il

	give me a break, you know how the disclaimer goes.

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (08/19/85)

In article <339@ihopa.UUCP> edw@ihopa.UUCP (Edwin Windes) writes:
>>         ... What would be the loss to you if I offered a package for a
>> low cost (Shareware prices), with source and a 30-day money back
>> guarentee?
>
> HO, HO, HO!!
>
>	this belongs in net.jokes, right?

No, it's not a joke.  Consumer pressure has been known to do wonders.
Your car for instance: it has a guarentee, no?  Well, during the youth
of cars there were none.  New houses too... etc.
	What I am really asking is would you buy software this way?
Or are you too cheap?

				Bjorn Benson

tim@callan.UUCP (Tim Smith) (08/27/85)

> This scores the bulleye for me. How can I tell IF a program is good?
> Should I buy a copy of it ? Should I try to find a dealer who has a copy
> AND will let me test the software on my machine? No, I think not.

Egghead Software is really nice in this respect.  They will open a copy
of any software they have and let you try it out.  You have to use their
machines though.  But it is very nice behaviour that should be encouraged.
In fact, I have bought several games from Egghead that I could have gotten
cheaper by mail order just cause they are so useful to have around.

I think Egghead is only in California, Washington and Orgegon, unfortunately.
--
					Tim Smith
				ihnp4!{cithep,wlbr!callan}!tim

jamesp@dadla.UUCP (Jim Perkins) (08/29/85)

>I think Egghead is only in California, Washington and Orgegon, unfortunately.
							^^^^^

We Orgy-gonians feel outraged at having our naughty state name mispelled!

--

     ____________________
    /		      /	 \		James T. Perkins
	   |	 |			orstcs!jamesp
	   |	 |
	   |	 |			4635 SW Hillside Drive
	   |	 |			Portland, OR 97221
	   \_____/
					212 Poling Hall, OSU
					Corvallis, OR 97331
       T h e  T u b e s

Incumbent: Person of liveliest interest to the outcumbents.