[comp.unix.ultrix] Spell dumps core on DS5000/200 ... why ?

greg@cityzoo.acs.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007a,3929,6445148) (02/06/91)

From: greg@math13.math.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ultrix
Subject: Spell dumps core on DS5000/200...why???
Expires:

	Hello all,

	I hope somebody has an idea ?
	I have some diskless clients here that have problems executing a
simple program, /usr/bin/spell.  The machines in question are all the
DS5000/200 the the math department has.  All of them have the 3D graphics
option, and all dump core while running the /usr/bin/spell program.  However,
the same /usr partition is shared with some DS3100's, and they don't have any
problem executing this program.  I also logged into another 5000 here on
campus (that doesn't have a graphics option card), and it's spell program
worked fine.  Also, the checksums for the 2 programs were different.
So I ftp'd the program over one of the graphics boxes, but it sumped core
just like the system spell program, and the checksums remained different.
Here are the checksum's that I get, the sizes are the same :

math13:greg: > sum ./spell
11615     5
math13:greg: > sum /usr/bin/spell
19313     5
math13:greg: > ls -l /usr/bin/spell ./spell
-rwxr-xr-x  1 greg         4262 Feb  5 09:24 ./spell*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root         4262 Aug 28 15:16 /usr/bin/spell*

	The ./spell program was the one that I brought over from the
other 5000.  Does anyone have an explanation for this.  All of the
DecStation here on campus are now running 4.1 Ultrix. (The ones with the
graphics card and not), and the hardware is all revision 5.3c .

	Any help would be appreciated, Thanks,
	greg
Greg Sylvain			UUCP: 			...!{uunet}!umbc3!greg
Academic Computing Services	Internaet (arpa): 	greg@umbc3.umbc.edu
Systems Programmer		BITNET:		 	GREGS@UMBC