[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix sendmail.cf vs. "Normal" sendmail.cf ???

tjb@mozz.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (02/13/91)

Has anyone addressed the fact that when sending mail from an ultrix machine to an address of the form uucphost!user@etherhost, the address is parsed wrong, or at least different, then from other machines?  Basically what happens is it gets parsed with the ! and @ being of eqal precedence.  Other machines defer the ! and treat uucphost!user as the user mailing to etherhost.

an ultrix example...

# /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> 0 icecube!tjb@unhd
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "@" "unhd"
rewrite: ruleset  8   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "@" "unhd"
rewrite: ruleset  8 returns: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "@" "unhd"
rewrite: ruleset  6   input: "tjb" "@" "unhd" "<" "@" "icecube" "." "UUCP" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  6 returns: "tjb" "@" "unhd" "<" "@" "icecube" "." "UUCP" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "tjb" "@" "unhd" "<" "@" "icecube" "." "UUCP" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "tjb" "@" "unhd" "<" "@" "icecube" "." "UUCP" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: "^V" "error" "^X" "Host" "icecube" "not" "connected
" "to" "mozz" "via" "uucp"

a sun example...

% /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> 0 icecube!tjb@unhd
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "@" "unhd"
rewrite: ruleset  6   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  6 returns: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  9   input: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  9 returns: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<" "@" "unhd" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# "ether" $@ "mailhost" $: "icecube" "!" "tjb" "<"
 "@" "unhd" ">"

Why is this and has anyone made a fix?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

tjb

| INTERNET: tjb@mozz.unh.edu                  USPS:           Thomas Baker |
|   USENET: uunet!unhd.unh.edu!tjb                   Distributed Computing |
|     NeXT: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu                        Kingsbury Hall, UNH |
|    Voice: (603) 862-4490                                Durham, NH 03824 |
|__________________________________________________________________________|

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard Peirce) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.150918.22387@unhd.unh.edu> tjb@mozz.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) writes:
>Has anyone addressed the fact that when sending mail from an ultrix machine to an
>address of the form uucphost!user@etherhost, the address is parsed wrong, or at
>least different, then from other machines?  Basically what happens is it gets
>parsed with the ! and @ being of equal precedence.  Other machines defer the !
>and treat uucphost!user as the user mailing to etherhost.

There is a rule in S0 that looks like

R$-!$+                 $#uucp$@$1$:$2          host!...

Comment it out and it will work like you desire.

Any subsequent debate about what RFC this breaks was purely unintentional. :-}

--
Leonard Peirce                  Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (02/14/91)

tjb@mozz.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) writes:

| Has anyone addressed the fact that when sending mail from an ultrix
| machine to an address of the form uucphost!user@etherhost, the address
| is parsed wrong, or at least different, then from other machines?
| Basically what happens is it gets parsed with the ! and @ being of eqal
| precedence.  Other machines defer the ! and treat uucphost!user as the
| user mailing to etherhost.

  I've seen the same problem on ultrix 4.0, but did not see it with
equivalent (ie, identical save for comments) Ultrix 3.x sendmail.cf's... I
now get error Host <bozotron.uucp> not connected to caliban.ariel.yorku.ca
via uucp...

  I have 44 machines with working mail, but the next release fixes that (:-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |