[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix CD-rom distribution.

mvw@kub.nl (Maarten van Wijk) (02/08/91)

Is the Ultrix software for DECstations already available on CD-rom
on a regular basis, like VMS. If not, when will it be available in the
U.S.A. and Europe?
--
****--*--* Maarten van Wijk --- Tilburg University --- The Netherlands -+
***  *  *  P.O. Box 90153       5000 LE Tilburg                         |

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (02/08/91)

The operating system and doumentation are available on CD-ROMs.  I would
be happy to post the part numbers, but so many people here keep "borrowing"
my copies.  :-)

					Frank

wherry@alazif.cxo.dec.com (bradley g wherry) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb08.090831.15321@kub.nl>, mvw@kub.nl (Maarten van
Wijk) writes:

|>Is the Ultrix software for DECstations already available on CD-rom
|>on a regular basis, like VMS. If not, when will it be available in
|>the
|>U.S.A. and Europe?
|>--
|>****--*--* Maarten van Wijk --- Tilburg University --- The Netherlands
|>-+
|>***  *  *  P.O. Box 90153       5000 LE Tilburg
|>|
|>**  *  *   Tel:(+31) 13 662080  Fax:(+31) 13 663189    <mvw@kub.nl>
|>|
|>+--*--*---------------------------------------------------------------
|>---+

Yes, just like VMS you can get Ultrix distributed on CD-ROM.  IMO this is
much, much better than 9track or TK50.  Like VMS also, you can get Ultrix
Docs on a Bookreader CD-ROM disk.

brad
--
brad wherry                |  Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam;
wherry@alazif.cxo.dec.com  |     e luce ad tenebras.

barefoot@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb08.090831.15321@kub.nl> mvw@kub.nl (Maarten van Wijk) writes:

>Is the Ultrix software for DECstations already available on CD-rom
>on a regular basis, like VMS. If not, when will it be available in the
>U.S.A. and Europe?

>****--*--* Maarten van Wijk --- Tilburg University --- The Netherlands -+

Sure is.... At least Ultrix 4.1 and all the subsets, including UWS. Just
loaded it on a 5000 last weekend. Much nicer than TK50's. There are a
couple of patches on tape, one for tape support (kind of ironic....) and
one for PHIGS.

The only problem I noticed was in trying to set up DMS (diskless
services) from CD--the program expects a tape drive to be present.
--

Heath Roberts
NCSU Computer and Technologies Theme Program