[comp.unix.ultrix] Slow VT1200?

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (02/13/91)

Hi,

When I start an X-based application with its display to a VT1200, it
takes between 30 and 60 seconds for the application to get a
connection. I think this is extremely long.

After the first window has been created, applications behave normally
(though a bit slower than on a workstation as can be expected).

It this normal behaviour?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

jrb@idx.com (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.162159.3178@pronto.mh.nl>, jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
> Hi,
>
> When I start an X-based application with its display to a VT1200, it
> takes between 30 and 60 seconds for the application to get a
> connection. I think this is extremely long.
>
> After the first window has been created, applications behave normally
> (though a bit slower than on a workstation as can be expected).
>
> It this normal behaviour?
>
> 	Johan
> --
> Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
> Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv
> Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62911/62500
> ------------------------ "Arms are made for hugging" -------------------------
We have number of VT1200's here. They are slow when using LAT off Vax's, but
unbearable when using TCP/IP.  I've called DEC about it, and they don't have any
suggestions or answers.  Complex aplications like DECwrite seem to fail
regularly on our VT1200's.  Also, we had a Cabletron network analyzer up here
the other day.  Our network is running at about %3 capacity.  When we added %10
load to the network (for a total of %13 utilization), all the VT1200's locked
up!  Our NCD X terminals continued to run, and showed no performance
degradation!  I would be interested in any perofmance suggestions for the
VT1200, our users are howling!
Jim Bresee
JRB@idx.com