[comp.unix.ultrix] X11R4 xterm on DECstation 3100

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (02/14/91)

In article <ROBM.91Feb13114405@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU> robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) writes:

>I just compiled X11R4 on my DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1 (Rev.
>52).  Seems to work fine, but for one annoying problem.  When I use
>filename completion, the filename doesn't display correctly.  For
>example, if I type "ls /usr/incl" and then hit ESC, what is displayed
>is this:
>
>% ls /usr/incl^[  ude
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, apply the patch at the end of this message and it will work like you
want it to.  Works for me.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

Article 3271 of comp.unix.ultrix:
From: dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: xterm and newcsh under Ultrix
Date: 21 May 90 18:13:36 GMT
Sender: news@OSF.ORG

Well, nobody sent me an actual solution to the problem I had with
Ultrix "newcsh" and R4 xterm, where the "escape" used to initiate
filename or command completion didn't get properly erased.  There
doesn't seem to be a way round it without programming, which is a
shame.  Thanks to those who did offer insights.

I put in the following somewhat simple fix:

*** VTPrsTbl.c.orig	Wed Mar  1 20:00:15 1989
--- VTPrsTbl.c	Fri Apr 20 19:47:06 1990
***************
*** 216,218 ****
  /*      0x88            0x89            0x8a            0x8b    */
! CASE_IGNORE,
  CASE_IGNORE,
--- 216,218 ----
  /*      0x88            0x89            0x8a            0x8b    */
! CASE_BS,
  CASE_IGNORE,

IMHO, an xterm user should be able to specify "strip to 7 bits on
input" just like a real terminal can.  This would be nearly as simple
to hack in, and I'll probably do it when I get time.  I don't offer
the above as an official fix!

(actually, it's arguable that, for completeness, xterm should offer
the 5 different combinations of parity: mark, space, odd, even, and
full 8-bit, with options to DTRT on input, but that's much less
important, and has the drawback of dragging the technology backwards...).
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (02/14/91)

In article <27B9A4FC.22714@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>In article <ROBM.91Feb13114405@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU> robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) writes:
>>I just compiled X11R4 on my DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1 (Rev.
>>52).  Seems to work fine, but for one annoying problem.  When I use
>>filename completion, the filename doesn't display correctly.

The fix to xterm given in the above message works.  You should also submit a
bug report to DEC; the shell shouldn't be issuing a backspace with the
high bit on.

	-paul asente
		asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente

graham@fuel.nyo.dec.com (graham) (02/15/91)

In article <11133@adobe.UUCP>, asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) writes:

|> The fix to xterm given in the above message works.  You should also submit a
|> bug report to DEC; the shell shouldn't be issuing a backspace with the
|> high bit on.

I using pre-release ULTRIX 4.2/X11R4.... and file completion seems to work
fine...for both xterm and decterm.  The X11R4 pieces are from 'factory'..
not from MIT ;-)

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

Internet: graham@fuel.enet.dec.com
UUCP:     ...!decwrl!fuel.enet.dec.com!graham