[comp.unix.ultrix] HP Plotter on a LAT DECserver

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (02/08/91)

i know this is asking for trouble, but i'm trying to connect an HP
Plotter (7550) to a DECserver running LAT.  since connecting printers
to LAT servers and making them work from ultrix printer queues has
always been my favorite task :-)  i was hoping someone else has
attempted this, and could provide advice.  specifically, the complete
setup used :-)  including printcap entry, LAT port configuration,
cable type, etc.  thanks!

						- dave

vsarkela@csc.fi (02/18/91)

In article <2674@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov
    (Dave Carter) writes:

> i know this is asking for trouble, but i'm trying to connect an HP
> Plotter (7550) to a DECserver running LAT.  since connecting printers
> to LAT servers and making them work from ultrix printer queues has
> always been my favorite task :-)  i was hoping someone else has
> attempted this, and could provide advice.  specifically, the complete
> setup used :-)  including printcap entry, LAT port configuration,
> cable type, etc.  thanks!
>
> 						- dave

We have DECsystem 5000/200 & ULTRIX 4.0 and we are using HP7550A plotters
thru terminal servers. Here is how our printcap entry looks (don't
type in the comments):

lp2|2|hp2:\
        :af=/usr/adm/hpacct:\
        :br#2400:\
        :ct=lat:\        <== LAT protocol
        :fc#0177777:\
        :fs#03:\         <== XON/XOFF  (also in the plotter)
        :if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/hp7550a:\ <== filter
        :lf=/usr/adm/hperr:\
        :lp=/dev/tty31:\
        :op=HP_PORT:\    <== terminal server port name
        :os=:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#132:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/hp2:\
        :ts=DSRV04:\        <== terminal server name
        :uv=4.0:\
        :xf=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:

And here is the filter we are using (without it there will be some
pen up-commands ignored by the plotter):

/* Put cr's every 72 chars */
#include <stdio.h>
#define LINELEN 72    /* default line length */

int llen = LINELEN;

int
main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char *argv[];
{
        register int
                c,      /* incoming char */
                col;    /* next column to print into */

        col = 0;
        while ((c=getchar()) != EOF) {
                if(c == ';') {
                        if (col >= llen) {
                                        putchar(';\r\n');
                                        col = 0;
                                        continue;
                        }
                }
                putchar(c);
                col++;
        }/* while */
        return(0);
}

LAT port should be configured to remote, noautobaud, nomodem &
xon/xoff flow control enabled. Cable needs only pins 2, 3 & 7 connected.
Sorry, but I don't remember if 2 & 3 are straight thru or crossover, but
that is easy to check if you have a break-out box.

Vesa Sarkela                       Keskuslaboratorio Oy
vsarkela@opmvax.csc.fi   Finnish Pulp & Paper Research Institute