[comp.unix.ultrix] top on Ultrix 4.1

mconlon@holly.stat.ufl.edu (Mike Conlon) (02/20/91)

We have recently converted from Ultrix 3.1 to Ultrix 4.1. We had
a utility called top which showed the processes using the highest amounts
of various system resources. top maintained an active display of the top
processes. The executable failed under 4.1 and when we recompiled we got
errors regarding cp_time in vmunix. Apparently the 4.1 vmunix can not be
used by top. top also worked under 4.0.

Does anyone have a patch for top, or a work-alike utility that is capable
of an active display of the top CPU and memory using processes?

--
Michael Conlon
Department of Statistics

chris@wuarchive.wustl.edu (Chris Myers) (02/20/91)

mconlon@holly.stat.ufl.edu (Mike Conlon) writes:

>We have recently converted from Ultrix 3.1 to Ultrix 4.1. We had
>a utility called top which showed the processes using the highest amounts
>of various system resources. top maintained an active display of the top
>processes. The executable failed under 4.1 and when we recompiled we got
>errors regarding cp_time in vmunix. Apparently the 4.1 vmunix can not be
>used by top. top also worked under 4.0.
>
>Does anyone have a patch for top, or a work-alike utility that is capable
>of an active display of the top CPU and memory using processes?

A patched version of top 2.5 is available for anonymous FTP from
wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4] in the directory /packages.  It works
with Ultrix 3.x and Ultrix 4.x.

--
Chris Myers                                Internet: chris@wugate.wustl.edu
Software Engineer                           UUCP: ...!uunet!wuarchive!chris

braun@dri.com (Kral) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.211406.29983@eng.ufl.edu> mconlon@holly.stat.ufl.edu (Mike Conlon) writes:

>We have recently converted from Ultrix 3.1 to Ultrix 4.1. We had
>a utility called top which showed the processes using the highest amounts
>of various system resources. top maintained an active display of the top
>processes. The executable failed under 4.1 and when we recompiled we got
>errors regarding cp_time in vmunix. Apparently the 4.1 vmunix can not be
>used by top. top also worked under 4.0.

I have the same problem.  So far, I've converted (added conditional code) to
get around the splitting up of p_flag, but I've now run in to a lost cp_time
kernel symbol; and I've little time to figure out what the new logic should be.
Any pointers, tips, patches, new programs, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."