[net.micro] 68000 Laptop portables

Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA (08/16/85)

When, oh when... will we  get laptops with any member of the 68000 family in them...

(ron)

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) (08/16/85)

ron,
	We'll get 680x0 laptops when the computer corps find there is a
'need' for them.  This translates into 5 years after the 680x0 has been
replaced by a better processor.  Pity.

ps-Cthulu just isn't the same anymore...
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
					arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/18/85)

> When, oh when... will we  get laptops with any member of the 68000 family in them...
>
> (ron)

There's one that has APL as the resident monitor. It's called the "BIG APL"...
but it's kind of limited in utility. A better answer is when a CMOS 68008 is
available in quantity.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

jans@orca.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (08/20/85)

In article <3303@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:
>ron,
>	We'll get 680x0 laptops when the computer corps find there is a
>'need' for them.  This translates into 5 years after the 680x0 has been
>replaced by a better processor.  Pity.

No, we'll get 680?0 laptops when the 680?0 arrives that is IBM PC compatible.
Pity.

(Seriously, I don't think the 680?0 is out in CMOS yet.  Last I checked, it
sucked up half an amp of +5!  Add memory and peripheral current, and we're
talking 5AH cells, which I don't want on *my* lap!)
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

mknox@UT-NGP.ARPA (mknox) (08/21/85)

There is already a lap-top 68000 machine from Japan called the AMPERE.  It
also has APL in ROM, and may be related to the one you mention (the BIG APL).
Apple is planning its own in 1986, called the FLAT MAC, and HP is planning
one with UNIX on a 68K lap-top called the INTEGRAL.

  [Note:  this info from Aug. issue of Modern Electronics, which was
substituted (without my permission) for the remainder of my subscription
to Computers and Electronics.  No mention of an alternative, such as
in REFUND.]

hamilton@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/25/85)

>and HP is planning one with UNIX on a 68K lap-top called the INTEGRAL.

there's already an HP "integral" running UNIX on a 68000.  not quite
laptop tho; comparable to a mac.

pollack@uicsl.UUCP (08/26/85)

> how about a modem and a mobile phone...

Motorola recently built such an animal (rumor: contracted by IBM for use by
salespersons). In the Microsystems announcements section of the August issue
of IEEE Computer, they describe the KDT800, which "uses two-way digital
radio to provide real-time communications between people and computers. It
operates at 4800 bps over standard 25 khz or 12.5 khz channels..."

Although the price was not indicated, I heard that the pocket
computer/terminal was in the $3000 range!

Jordan Pollack

mikey@trsvax (09/01/85)

You don't need to be moving, the cells are constantly being dynamically
re-allocated.  The pass-offs will kill you with a standard modem.  Also,
you need high baud rates to combat the high connect charges.

mikey at trsvax