[comp.unix.ultrix] Cnews help needed

abrams@bnlux0.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) (02/21/91)

	We are attempting to install Cnews on a Decsystem 5000 running
Ultrix 4.1, and have run into difficulties.  When we attempted to run
doit.bin, the scipt aborted with the following errors:
+ make u COPTS=-O
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c fgets.c
ccom: Warning: fgets.c, line 89: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
      --------------------------------------------------------^
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c fputs.c
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c rdwr.c
ccom: Error: rdwr.c, line 20: redeclaration of fread
      char *ptr;
      ---^
ccom: Warning: rdwr.c, line 44: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
      --------------------------------------------------------^
ccom: Error: rdwr.c, line 70: redeclaration of fwrite
      char *ptr;
      ---^
ccom: Warning: rdwr.c, line 93: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
      --------------------------------------------------------^
*** Error code 1

Stop.
+ exit 1

	Has anyone encountered these problems. Does anyone know of a
solution?

	All suggestions gratefully accepted.   Thanks in advance.

In article <2555@bnlux0.bnl.gov> abrams@bnlux0.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) writes:
>	We are attempting to install Cnews on a Decsystem 5000 running
>Ultrix 4.1, and have run into difficulties.  When we attempted to run
>doit.bin, the scipt aborted with the following errors: ...
>ccom: Warning: fgets.c, line 89: illegal pointer combination

A quick workaround is just to reconfigure not to use our stdio speedups.
They have a tendency to be tricky, since they have to fit the local stdio
implementation precisely.

Actually, these are "unimportant" errors, probably easily sorted out, but
if you're not up to wading through the details, you probably don't want
to try.
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry