[comp.unix.ultrix] mwm doesn't like DECwindows icon bitmaps?

pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) (02/22/91)

I got OSF/Motif 1.0.3 for a DECstation 5000 from the folks at ICS.  When I start
DECwindows applications, mwm complains about the icon bitmap being invalid and
substitutes a default (uninteresting) bitmap for the icon.

Is there a way to convert bitmaps from whatever DECwindows uses to the format
that mwm will like?  Alternately, does someone have bitmaps that they can send
to me, perhaps from the DEC-delivered Motif kit?

Thanks for any help.

Philip A. Naecker                Consulting Software Engineer
Internet: pan@propress.com       1010 East Union Street, Suite 101
          uunet!prowest!pan      Pasadena, CA  91106-1756
Voice:    +1 818 577 4820        FAX: +1 818 577 0073

Also:     Technology Editor, DEC Professional Magazine
          VAX Professional Magazine Review Board Member

jg@quabbin.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (02/23/91)

In article <8037@prowest.propress.com> pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) writes:
>I got OSF/Motif 1.0.3 for a DECstation 5000 from the folks at ICS.  When I start
>DECwindows applications, mwm complains about the icon bitmap being invalid and
>substitutes a default (uninteresting) bitmap for the icon.
>
>Is there a way to convert bitmaps from whatever DECwindows uses to the format
>that mwm will like?  Alternately, does someone have bitmaps that they can send
>to me, perhaps from the DEC-delivered Motif kit?

The problem is that the DECwindows clients were done before the ICCCM was
adopted, and create deep pixmaps rather than single plane bitmaps as
icons.  This will be fixed in future releases as the DECwindows applications
are converted to Motif and become ICCCM compliant.

				- Jim

--
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory