[comp.unix.ultrix] UUCP over terminal server

bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Bill Roth) (02/21/91)

Does anyone know if it is possible to utilize UUCP through a modem
attached to a terminal server over LAT?

Bill Roth,  University of Wisconsin Physical Sciences Laboratory
email: bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu bill@wiscpsl.bitnet   /  (608)-873-6651

D. Allen [CGL]) (02/21/91)

>Does anyone know if it is possible to utilize UUCP through a modem
>attached to a terminal server over LAT?

We do it for rates <= 2400 bps.  Our Telebit modems work okay through a
DS200 for interactive work at the high speeds (192Kbps) provided you
don't print too much to the screen at once, but we've not gotten UUCP
to work at the fast speeds.  We're running a DS200 into a DS5400
running Ultrix 3.1C.  When we upgrade to Ultrix 4.1 I'll try again,
but rumour has it this just won't work:

| Article 5555 of comp.unix.ultrix:
| From: sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris)
| Subject: Re: uucp Dialout via decserver?
|
| In article <jeff.8251@wisdom.UUCP> jeff@wisdom.UUCP (Jeff Ross) writes:
| >this weekend, I attempted to get our uucp host to call out via a modem
| >(telebit T2500) connected to a decserver 200.  I have been able to
| >accept calls in with no problems.  however, getting calls to go out seems
| >to be a little problem.
| >
| >any suggestions??? did I miss something simple??
|
| When I asked Dec UK about this they said something like 'get an extra serial
| card.  LAT wasn't designed for the high throughput UUCP can give'.

Or maybe I'll just give up and put a serial card in the 5400.
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

thomas@mipsbx.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb21.055107.29628@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
!!Does anyone know if it is possible to utilize UUCP through a modem
!!attached to a terminal server over LAT?

!We do it for rates <= 2400 bps.  Our Telebit modems work okay through a
!DS200 for interactive work at the high speeds (192Kbps) provided you
!don't print too much to the screen at once, but we've not gotten UUCP
!to work at the fast speeds.  We're running a DS200 into a DS5400
!running Ultrix 3.1C.  When we upgrade to Ultrix 4.1 I'll try again,
!but rumour has it this just won't work:

This is a patch available for LAT which will allow to function at 19200
without dropping of characters.  Contact your CSC for the patch.

[For those interested, the standrad BSD tty driver contains too small of
a rawq clist to handle the packetized input from a terminal server.  So
we added an "overflow" clist to buffer the characters that would have
been dropped from the rawq.  These are then feed back in after a read
hasbeen completed.]
--

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas