[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with tip

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (02/23/91)

Well, it may not be a tip problem, but nevertheless...

Scenario:

  - From a DECstation3100, Ultrix4.0, I open a DXterm session on a
    VAXstation3100 with Ultrix 3.1:

       dxterm -e rlogin host

  - From this window, I use tip to connect to a remote system via a
    modem.

  - When finished with the remote system, I type "~." to tip. Almost
    immediately the DXterm window disappears. On the VAXstation, the
    tip process stays alive, and desperately keeps dialing the remote
    system only to disconnect as soon as it gets a connection. Then is
    dials again etc etc..

When using tip straight from the VAXstation everything works fine.

Sounds familiar to someone?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

larryd@toby.bnr.ca (Larry Dunkelman) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb23.114432.26318@pronto.mh.nl> Johan Vromans <jv@mh.nl> writes:
>Well, it may not be a tip problem, but nevertheless...
>
>Scenario:
>
>  - From a DECstation3100, Ultrix4.0, I open a DXterm session on a
>    VAXstation3100 with Ultrix 3.1:
>
>       dxterm -e rlogin host
>
>  - From this window, I use tip to connect to a remote system via a
>    modem.
>
>  - When finished with the remote system, I type "~." to tip. Almost
>    immediately the DXterm window disappears.

'rlogin' also uses "~" as its escape character.  In your case, to
exit the 'tip' session you must type "~~."   Another way around this
problem is either to use a different escape character for 'rlogin'
(eg. rlogin -e@) or to define a different escape character to 'tip'
in your .tiprc file (es=@).

Hope this helps.

Larry Dunkelman