[comp.unix.ultrix] Fujitsu Eagle == RA81

rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) (02/24/91)

We are in possession of a Fujitsu Eagle Disk Drive
(from a defunct Pyramid 90x.) and are wondering
if we should pursue moving it to a VAX3600/Q-Bus system.

Is this disk equivalent to an RA81? Can it be controlled
by a MSCP/DSA disk controller (currently with one RA82)
on a VAX3600? Do Eagle's come with different interfaces?

A quick look reveals that an adaptor cable will be required
as a minimum to adapt the ribbon cable to DEC's type of
cables. Where might one acquire such a beast? Fujitsu?
Dec?

How does the Eagle compare to an RA81/RA82 performance wise?

Your comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

--R J Auletta
  rauletta@sitevax.gmu.edu

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (02/24/91)

In article <3595@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:

> Is this disk equivalent to an RA81? Can it be controlled
> by a MSCP/DSA disk controller (currently with one RA82)
> on a VAX3600? Do Eagle's come with different interfaces?

  A lot depends on your terminology. The "native" interface on a M2351A
(Eagle) is SMD. This is an older (but still popular) interface using a
60 pin and a 26 pin cable set.

  Various controllers speak MSCP to the host and SMD to the drive. An ex-
ample is the EMULEX QD32.

  DEC controllers speak MSCP to the host and SDI (Standard Disk Interface)
to the drive. If you have such a controller, you will need to acquire an
SDI adapter for the drive. Several vendors have such things, but I don't
know of any that sell them without drives. Systems Industries comes to
mind.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/25/91)

In article <3595@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, rauletta@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:

> We are in possession of a Fujitsu Eagle Disk Drive
> (from a defunct Pyramid 90x.) and are wondering
> if we should pursue moving it to a VAX3600/Q-Bus system.
>
> Is this disk equivalent to an RA81?

  The Fujitsu Eagle speaks the SMD protocol.  So you need to purchase a con-
  troller that sits on the QBUS, accepts MSCP "commands" and "translates" them
  to SMD before forwarding them to the disk drive.  Such controllers are avail-
  able from various third party vendors such as Dilog.

> A quick look reveals that an adaptor cable will be required
> as a minimum to adapt the ribbon cable to DEC's type of
> cables.

  You are probably best off getting the cable from the same place that supplies
  the controller.

> How does the Eagle compare to an RA81/RA82 performance wise?

  Supposedly very well, tho I can't verify this from personal experience.  A
  lot of Eagles were connected to SUN and DEC machines and (probably) still are.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org