[comp.unix.ultrix] DECsystems as timesharing systems

mcw@pine.circa.ufl.edu (WRIGHT) (02/15/91)

Could anyone share any experiences they have using DECsystems (any model)
as a multiuser or timesharing system, with or without workstations?
I'd like to know how many concurrent users you can comfortably
support, what model it is, how much memory, what kind of disks.

Or, if anyone has any multiuser benchmarks for a DECsystem, could you
post them?

Mike Wright
Center for Instructional and Research Computing Activities
(CIRCA)
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL

Internet:      mcw@pine.circa.ufl.edu
BITNET:        MCW@UFPINE

morse@quark.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse) (02/15/91)

In article <26921@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mcw@pine.circa.ufl.edu (WRIGHT) writes:

<   Could anyone share any experiences they have using DECsystems (any model)
<   as a multiuser or timesharing system, with or without workstations?
<   I'd like to know how many concurrent users you can comfortably
<   support, what model it is, how much memory, what kind of disks.

We have a DECsystem 5000 with 40 Mbytes of memory, around 2.5 Gbytes
of disk space (some DEC, some 3rd party), and a couple of 8 MM tape
drives. The system is used as a file server for 5-10 workstations
(DEC, and Sun), for backups of 15 or so workstations, as a compute
server for DECwrite, and interactively for 10-20 users. I have never
noticed it being over-utilized. There seems to be lots of excess
capacity.

Overall, it is a very good system. When price is considered, it is
even better. A comparable Sun machine came in at a *significantly*
higher price.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb20.161539.1175@portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:

> One problem ---  dec3100 is slow when it comes to having multiple,
> running, background jobs.  It is much, much, faster to run one job and
> then another, vs. two jobs at once. .....

  Everyone's job mix is unique.  In our case, we found the above to be primarily
  due to disk i/o, especially if using DEC's standard-issue RZ55 disk.  DEC hel-
  ped that some with a PROM upgrade.

  We improved the situation quite a bit by adding memory - and buying third-
  party disks  (tho the RZ56 and RZ57 are also more competent, expensive as
  well).

  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org