[comp.unix.ultrix] set x=`stty speed` still fails on Ultrix 4.1

D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu> (01/30/91)

Another Ultrix bug I thought would have been fixed years ago.

  % set x=`stty speed`
  stty: : Not a typewriter

This happens because stty normally does its ioctl's on stdout and prints
on stderr.  The other Unix systems I use are smart enough to fiddle with
the units so that you can use `stty speed` to actually find out the baud
rate of your tty in a shell script.  You'll find that no combination of
i/o redirection (even using units in /bin/sh) will work on Ultrix.

This has been broken since at least Ultrix 2.1.  I made the obvious fix when
we had Ultrix 3.1 source.  I guess I'll make the same fix on Ultrix 4.1.

Never get Unix without source!
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

christos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christos S. Zoulas) (01/31/91)

Doesn't that work?

set speed=`sh -c "stty everything 2>&1 > /dev/tty" | \\
		  fgrep 'baud' | sed -e 's/ baud.*//' -e 's/.* //'`

christos
| Christos Zoulas         | 389 Theory Center, Electrical Engineering,   |
| christos@ee.cornell.edu | Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853.         |
| christos@crnlee.bitnet  | Phone: (607) 255 0302 |  Fax: (607) 254 4565 |

christos@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Christos S. Zoulas) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Jan30.073059.19868@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>Another Ultrix bug I thought would have been fixed years ago.
>
>  % set x=`stty speed`
>  stty: : Not a typewriter
>
>This happens because stty normally does its ioctl's on stdout and prints
>on stderr.  The other Unix systems I use are smart enough to fiddle with
>the units so that you can use `stty speed` to actually find out the baud
>rate of your tty in a shell script.  You'll find that no combination of
>i/o redirection (even using units in /bin/sh) will work on Ultrix.

This is not true...

% set x=`sh -c "stty everything 2>&1 > /dev/tty" | awk '{ if ( $1 == "speed" ) print( $2 ); }'`