[net.micro] Opinion about 2400 baud modems

WAGREICH@BBNA.ARPA (08/26/85)

I  am interested in knowing how reliable the 2400 baud modems are
for accessing computer services like DELPHI.  I understand Tymnet
and  Uninet  now  have  2400 baud nodes.  Is it necessary to have
your telephone line conditioned for remote acess (either  dial-up
or  via  a  network  like  tyment)  at 2400 baud?  My line is not
conditioned for 1200 baud access to other computers and it  works
fine.   I  do have a problem in receiving calls from other PCs at
1200 baud in autoanswer mode -- there is a lot of static  on  the
line  and  I  have  been  told  to  get my line conditioned.  Can
someone explain this seeming paradox?

What are the best 2400 baud modems?  How expensive are they?

Thanks for the information.

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (09/02/85)

You should have no trouble with the US-Robotics COURIER 2400 baud
modem.  It has adaptive equalization (fancy term for automatically
adjusting to your phone line's characteristics) and does not use the
Rockwell chip set that Racal-Vadic and D.C. Hayes have had so much
trouble with.

--Keith

dad@mit-vax.UUCP (David Duff) (09/03/85)

In article <1160@brl-tgr.ARPA> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) writes:
>You should have no trouble with the US-Robotics COURIER 2400 baud
>modem.

Here's a question on the new 2400 baud modems:

Who can you talk to at 2400 baud?  Will the modems attached to most
mainframes support this speed, or can you only talk to other new 2400
baud modems?  Are people counting on 2400 becoming a new standard?