[comp.unix.ultrix] 2 questions: setld format, and vmunix vs. genvmunix

jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) (02/11/91)

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.

   I have two unrelated questions (I am a novice at this...).
1) What kind of format does the setld utility use? Specifically, I am
wondering how I would load a software set onto my uVax II/RC Ultrix 4.1
system via tk50 tape (it does not have access to any network). I need
to re-load the 75 dpi fonts onto my system (because it won't boot to
Windows mode without them, as I sadly found out), and am wondering how
I can get the set onto a tk50 tape in format that the setld command
will understand, if all I have is access to a machine which houses all
the available Ultrix sets on disk. I guess the bottom line is: how do
I tell it to build me a setld set onto a tk50 tape?
2) Which of vmunix or genvmunix does the uVax II/RC Ultrix 4.1 machine
use when it automatically boots up to multi-user DecWindows mode, and
what would happen (and why) if the other one were to be deleted?
Thanks in advance. Please reply directly.

				Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tufts.edu)

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (02/11/91)

In article <74430@bu.edu.bu.edu>, jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:

> 1) What kind of format does the setld utility use?

	A setld(8) tape consists of the subset files written
	as seperate files on the tape.  For the most part the
	blocksize used (and expected) is 10 KB.  In many cases
	the files are compressed tar archives.  The exceptions
	are the first four files of the tape.

	The first and 2nd file depend on the architecture.  On
	the base ULTRIX distribution they are bootable files
	and use a 512 byte blocksize.  I think the VAX uses two
	boot files and the DEC{stations,systems} use one.  On
	other setld(8) tapes they are empty files of one 10KB
	block.  You can create one of these empty files with:

		% touch space
		% tar cf SPACE space

	The 3rd file is a dump(8) of the installation root file
	system.  It also uses a 10 KB block size.  On other tapes
	it will be a SPACE file.

	The 4th files is always a tar archive of the installation
	control files, often called INSTCTRL.  To create one:

		% cd {kit-directory}/instctrl
		% tar cf ../INSTCTRL .

	One of the files in this subset (and the installation control
	directory) is a .image, typically ULT.image.  It lists the
	checksums of the subsets and the order of the subset files
	on the tape.

	This is probably all documented in the "Guide to Creating
	Software for Distribution on ULTRIX" (or something close to
	that).

> 2) Which of vmunix or genvmunix does the uVax II/RC Ultrix 4.1 machine
> use when it automatically boots up to multi-user DecWindows mode, and
> what would happen (and why) if the other one were to be deleted?

	/vmunix.  Genvmunix is used by the installation procedure
	to build a specific kernel for the configuration.  If it
	is missing then doconfig won't work correctly if you ever
	plan to use it.  It's also nice to have as a backup in
	case /vmunix breaks.

> Thanks in advance. Please reply directly.

	I'll try.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

pjp@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Pat J. Pinchera) (03/05/91)

newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems,comp.sys.dec,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: dialer entry (/etc/acucap) for Practical Peripherals 2400 SA
Sender:  Patrick J. Pinchera

I'm trying to setup a Practical Peripherals 2400 SA modem on a
DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1. In trying to dial out using the
'tip' command, the modem dials, and connects, but the 'tip' program
does not wait and responds with 'connect failed'. I've been modifying
a copy of the Hayes-V entry on the /etc/acucap file.

Does anyone have a valid /etc/acucap for this (or very similar) modem?
It may be appropriate to include the /etc/ttys entry for the port (I'm using
ttyd0).
Please respond e-mail as well. I fell like I'm reinventing something
that others have already accomplished. Thanks in advance.

Patrick Pinchera
Interface & Control Systems, Inc.
Melbourne, FL

In article <1991Mar4.202551.11844@mlb.semi.harris.com> pjp@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Pat J. Pinchera) writes:
> newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems,comp.sys.dec,comp.unix.ultrix
> Subject: dialer entry (/etc/acucap) for Practical Peripherals 2400 SA
> Sender:  Patrick J. Pinchera
>
> I'm trying to setup a Practical Peripherals 2400 SA modem on a
> DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1. In trying to dial out using the
> 'tip' command, the modem dials, and connects, but the 'tip' program
> does not wait and responds with 'connect failed'. I've been modifying
> a copy of the Hayes-V entry on the /etc/acucap file.

Check that the modem is set up for "real" modem status signals, since
the acucap sequence probably expects to see cd change, not be always
enabled.