[comp.unix.ultrix] VMS & Ultrix backup via one tape drive ?

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) (03/05/91)

Does anyone know of a simple way to backup both a
VMS cluster and an ultrix cluster to one tape
drive connected either to the VMS or the ultrix
machine?

Thanks

Peter Kocks
kocks@jessica.Stanford.EDU

jarrell@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Ron Jarrell) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.233114.544@leland.Stanford.EDU> kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>Does anyone know of a simple way to backup both a VMS cluster and an ultrix
>cluster to one tape drive connected either to the VMS or the ultrix
>machine?

Well, we have a set of 9tracks and a pair of TA90's, a VMS CI VAXcluster,
and an Ultrix CI Clump, both with HSC's.  We put an HSC5X-DA into the
VMS HSC (HSC1) and an HSC5X-DA into the Ultrix HSC (HSC2), hooked the
A port on all the tapes to the VMS side, and the B port on all the tapes
to the ULTRIX side, and now both machines have a substantial tape farm.

Note that you have to prevent either side from monkeying with the others
tape, or have the operators push the switches a lot, but it works
quite nicely.

--
Ron Jarrell
Virginia Tech Computing Center