[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix resolver question

vaf@Valinor.Stanford.EDU (Vince Fuller) (03/05/91)

We recently (today) started running a DS5000/Ultrix 4.1(55) system as
one of our primary servers for handling mail and domain service. While
looking at the system this evening, I noticed that along with lots of
outgoing TCP/SMTP connections, there also seem to be a lot of TCP/DOMAIN
connections to the local domain server port. Is it the case that Ultrix
domain requests use TCP instead of UDP by default? Alternatively, is it
possible that sendmail 5.65 requests this? It seems like overkill to
setup TCP/DOMAIN (instead of light-weight UDP/DOMAIN requets) for every
simple name lookup that is done.

	Thanks,
	--Vince

rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) (03/06/91)

I think that netstat opens tcp/domain sockets to the nameserver.
Were you using netstat to look at your system?  You might try
"netstat -n", though I don't know if this really prevents it
from opening the connection.

Rick Watson
The University of Texas Computation Center, 512/471-3241
   internet: rick@digate.cc.utexas.edu       bitnet: watson@utadnx
   uucp:     ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!rick   span:   utspan::utadnx::watson