[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix utilities and segmentation faults

cpsrk@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Stuart Kemp) (03/08/91)

These seem to go hand in hand! :-)

Using Ultrix 4.1.

Latest that I found today: I left the '-' off a flag viz.

     rdate v   instead of    rdate -v

and lo and behold, segmentation fault (core dump)

Others I have noticed (and may have mentioned before):

   man -s
      (where the 's' was chosen randomely; yeah, I know it does
       nothing, but should not give segmentation fault).

   echo test | xargs -i -t /bin/ls -al ./\{\}

   id
     (if there is no entry for your GID in the /etc/group file)

Did I hear someone mention QC? :-)

-Stuart Kemp

--
Dept of Computer Science        Internet: cpsrk@marlin.jcu.edu.au
James Cook University           Fax:

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar8.013456.5959@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpsrk@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Stuart Kemp) writes:

>These seem to go hand in hand! :-)
>
>Using Ultrix 4.1.
>
>   id
>     (if there is no entry for your GID in the /etc/group file)

We've experienced and reported this one.  It took the support person well
over one half hour to reproduce the problem.  It was pathetic.  I had to
walk her through it step by step and she still managed to trash the system
she was trying to test it on (creating an account with a gid not in the
group file was evidently a major undertaking - for technical reasons)...

>-Stuart Kemp
>
>--
>Dept of Computer Science        Internet: cpsrk@marlin.jcu.edu.au
>James Cook University           Fax:
>Townsville                        Australia: (077) 814029
>Qld 4811                          Int'l    : +61-77-814029

---
brian@cimage.com