[comp.unix.ultrix] Getting MIT/R4 clients to run on DECnet

rsignell@crusty.er.usgs.gov (Richard P. Signell) (03/07/91)

When I try to build R4 clients on my DECstation 5000
with Ultrix 4.1, I often have problems finding include files.
Are they missing or they just have different locations
than the MIT X11/R4?

Are the DEC supplied include files compatible with R4, as
their libraries are under Ultrix 4.1?

Finally, when I build clients on a system where we built
X11/R4 from MIT, the clients build fine, but won't run
using the DECnet protocol.  What's the problem here?

Thanks for any assistance...
--
Rich Signell               |   rsignell@crusty.er.usgs.gov
U.S. Geological Survey     |   (508) 548-8700

jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (03/07/91)

In .../mit/config/ultrix.cf, you need a line like this:

#define ConnectionFlags -DUNIXCONN -DTCPCONN -DDNETCONN

the important missing but is "-DDNETCONN".  You don't need to rebuild from
scratch to get everything to use this, but it is the far easier to type
"make World" just before you go home ....
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>

bsh@iddth3.id.dk (Bo Stig Hansen (EMP)) (03/08/91)

rsignell@crusty.er.usgs.gov (Richard P. Signell) writes:

>When I try to build R4 clients on my DECstation 5000
>with Ultrix 4.1, I often have problems finding include files.
>Are they missing or they just have different locations
>than the MIT X11/R4?

I have the same problem on a VAXstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1.
Recently I tried to build the SeeTeX previewer for TeX output
(posted on comp.sources.x) and noticed that the include
files are NOT organized like on the MIT distribution (Athena
widget stuff in a separate subdirectory etc.).

More grave is it, however, that some files are totally missing, e.g.
<X11/Xmu/Converters.h> and <X11/Xaw/Sme.h>.

I hope to get comment/advice on this, especially from DEC people.

-Bo Hansen (bsh@id.dth.dk)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (03/09/91)

In article <bsh.668419886@iddth3> bsh@iddth3.id.dk (Bo Stig Hansen (EMP)) writes:
>I have the same problem on a VAXstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1.
>Recently I tried to build the SeeTeX previewer for TeX output
>(posted on comp.sources.x) and noticed that the include
>files are NOT organized like on the MIT distribution (Athena
>widget stuff in a separate subdirectory etc.).
>
>More grave is it, however, that some files are totally missing, e.g.
><X11/Xmu/Converters.h> and <X11/Xaw/Sme.h>.

DECwindows is not R4, so you can't expect things to be where they should be
in R4.  You'll need the R4 distribution to build most, if not all,
the R4 clients since they're looking for the R4 include files and
calling R4 library routines that may not be in the DECwindows libraries.

We have one DECstation that has /usr/include/X11 pointing to the R4 includes,
/usr/lib/X11 is R4-ized, etc. and use it to build R4 stuff.  If we need
to build DECwindow program, we do it on another system.

Ultrix v4.2 is supposed to be R4-compliant.  I haven't seen it, so I can't
say whether it really is.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

juh@qt.IPA.FhG.de (Juergen Henke) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.084946.7397@hollie.rdg.dec.com>
           jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) writes:

>In .../mit/config/ultrix.cf, you need a line like this:
>
>#define ConnectionFlags -DUNIXCONN -DTCPCONN -DDNETCONN

[...]
>John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
>Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>
>Reading, England		<...!ukc!wessex!jch>

I will do that as soon i get a libdnet_G0.a from Digital ! For some
libs DEC supplies the "G0" version, but not for all (;-<), and i have
to compile (because of dynamic loading) with "-G 0"...

So, could any kind soul from DEC put such a beast on gatekeeper ??

Regards,
	Juergen

Juergen Henke, e-mail juh@qt.IPA.FhG.de, PSI-mail PSI%4571109306::JUH_IPA
Fraunhofer-Institut f. Produktionstechnik u. Automatisierung
Eierstrasse 46, D-7000 Stuttgart 1